Shiny Nose After Asian Rhinoplasty?

I'm a 20-year old East Asian female and have medium to thin skin. My surgeon put a cartilage graft on the bridge of my nose. He didn't dice the cartilage or use fascia. Now I'm 4 months post op. Even after washing my face, my nose appears shiny, especially in the bright white light in the bathroom. The edge of the graft is also visible and looks rigid and unnatural from some angles. Will these problems get better or worse over time? Will a cartilage graft cause skin thinning on the bridge?

Shiny nose after rhinoplasty

+1

The skin of the nose does undergo some changes after surgery, but in your case it sounds like the pressure exerted from the underlying graft may be responsible for the "shiny" appearance.  The problems may get better, or they may get worse with time.  It's important to follow up closely with your surgeon to give your nose the best chance for a successful result.  

Shiny Nose After Asian Rhinoplasty?

+1

Cartilage graft visibility and skin thinning or reddening can always occur with the placement of a cartilage graft.  The graft may need to be removed and other measures taken.  You need to be examined to determine what needs to be done.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Shiny Nose

+1

The first recommendation is to discuss your concerns with your original surgeon.  This is one of the reasons why the cartilage is usually crushed or diced with fascia to cover it to achieve a smooth contour and allow it heal nicely.  If the edge of the graft is visible, you may need this to be revised as it can become more prominent as any additional swelling goes down.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD