Shaving Pubic Hair Before a TT?

should i shave or not before surgery

Don't shave before a tummy tuck

+2

It is generally recommended that you do not shave the pubic area before getting a tummy tuck. If your surgeon would like some hair removed, it could be done on the OR table immediately before your surgery. It is felt that shaving several hours or days before the surgery could increase your risk of infection with the surgery.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Shaving Pubic Hair Before a TT

+1

Generally, no shaving before surgery is recommended unless specifically directed by the surgeon. The general belief is that shaving may increase the likelihood of infection.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and shaving

+1

It is not a good idea to shave before any type of surgery especially tummy tuck. Shaving can cause invisile scratches and openings in the top layer of your skin which in turn could increase the chances of infection after surgery. In tummy tuck surgeries, specifically, we use the pubic hair line as a point of refererance to place our incisions. Please do not shave.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

You Should Not Shave Pubic Area Before Surgery

+1

It is not a good idea to shave your pubic area immediately before a tummy tuck if you use a blade to shave.  The problem is that a small skin nick can become infected and lead to a bigger infection problem.  Your surgeon may shave the area but should use an electric shaver rather than razor.

John Whitt, MD

Don't Shave Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Shaving is not required before your tummy tuck. In fact there is strong evidence that shaving within a few days prior to  surgery (even right before surgery) will increase your risk of surgery. In most cases of course it will not make a difference. I personally do not instruct my patients to shave before. See below reference for further information

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Shaving before surgery

+1

This is a question to ask your surgeon. I prefer that my patients not shave as I can then see where the hair bearing skin is which makes my surgical planning easier. But there are some surgeons who prefer that you do shave so you need to ask your surgeon what his or her preference is.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Shaving prior to Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

Your surgeon will have precise advice for you in regards to what you can/ cannot do prior to surgery.  Out of respect for your surgeon, it is best to ask him/her and follow the instructions given to you.

Best of luck on your upcoming tummy tuck surgery.