Shaving Chin Implant So Face Isn't As Long?

Hi had a chin implant 3 weeks ago and it's made my face look very long. my surgeon has given option of removal or shaving it. I have a medpor implant screwed in with two screws. What are the downfalls of shaving it? Will shaving it shorten it which would shorten my face? complications involved?

Long face after chin implant

+1

I would highly recommend you wait before altering the implant that was placed. Chin implants cause significant swelling as a result of the subperiosteal dissection as well as the soft tissue trauma of surgery. I would wait 3 months at a minimum to allow the swelling to subside. Don't rush into a revision. Best wishes.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shave chin implant

+1

an answer depends entirely on the pictures. If the implant sits too low and is making the face look longer shaving or replacing the implant makes perfect sense. I have done this myself and it works fine. 

put up some pictures and let's see. 

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Shaving chin

+1

I would not shave the chin.  This often leaves an un-natural appearance of the chin region at rest and with animation.  A better alterative is a genioplasty with removal of a wedge of bone to shorten the face.  The chin could also be moved forward or backward if needed at the same time.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD