Will Not Shaving Before Laser Hair Removal Improve Results?

If i dont shave before the laser treatment, would that work? (when i shave my face, I feel it grows more hair than before)

Shaving is the only way to remove hair before laser hair removal

+1

If you are planning to have laser hair removal and don't want the hair present during the 4-6 weeks before your treatment, shaving is your only option.  You cannot pluck, tweeze or wax as the hair must be present within the hair follicle for the laser treatment to work. It does not have to be present on the surface however so shaving is allowed.  We tell our patients not to shave sometimes however for several days before their treatment because we may need to see where the hair is growing.  In cases such as this, we will shave their hair immediately before the treatment.

Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Shaving and Laser hair removal

+1

Shaving does not usually alter the growth rate of the hair. The hair may feel coarser as it is growing out, initially. For some instances, it is preferable that you do shave before laser hair removal; otherwise if the hair is too long and thick, the laser may cause more discomfort and burn darker skin during the procedure. The practitioner that is removing your hair can advice you on whether to shave the hair before the procedure. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist