What if These Sharp Pains Continue After 2 Years?

My wife's left breast has always had the occasional sharp pain, but lately it seems to be a constant sharp pain . Her surgery will be 2 years ago this September. Thank you

Sharp Intermittent Breast Pain At 2 Years Post-op

+1

Intermittent sharp pain at about 2 years after the surgery is not common but according to your description the pain has always been present intermittently.

Therefore, it is hard to diagnose the cause of the pain without examination and tests; of the most common possibilities is an insulted nerve or a capsular contracture.

I recommend to have your wife consult with her surgeon for an in-person evaluation/examination as he/she knows the full details of her surgery.

The best of luck to both of you.

Thank you for your post.

Dr. Sajjadian

Occasional sharp pains are now more frequent 2 years post-op.

+1

As my colleagues have indicated, follow-up with your plastic surgeon is certainly appropriate and recommended. I have had patients who note similar symptoms, and recovery of sensation over the first 6-12 months after surgery is the norm. After that, additional changes are minimal and infrequent, and increasing pains could be a sign of capsular contracture or other potential concern.

But usually, there is no problem, no capsular contracture, and nothing but the fact that there has been surgical intervention in which tissues, including sensory nerves, are cut, irritated, and now healed with some degree of scarring. The fact that occasional uncomfortable sensations are noted is of no concern, and simply relates to the fact that surgery was performed and tissues have been (hopefully minimally) damaged and now healed. Stretching, movement, weight gain or loss, and even normal menstrual cyclic hormonal changes can induce these nerves to send brief "electric-shock" sensations.

When symptoms are clearly increasing, however, then this is a sign that evaluation is needed rather than reassurance. BTW, pain is not usually a sign of cancer. Careful self-examination, physician examination, and routine mammography or other recommended studies should be undertaken when appropriate. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sharp pain after breast augmentation now two years old?

+1

Pain at two years is not normal. She should be evaluated to figure out the cause of this pain.  Good luck.

Sharp Pains 2 Years after Breast Augmentation?

+1

If the frequency and/or severity of your wife's discomfort/pain is increasing,  follow-up with her plastic surgeon is indicated. Physical examination will be necessary to rule out complications such as breast implant encapsulation and/or breast implant displacement which may be causing the worsening symptoms.