Sharp Pain in Left Breast Implant 3 Weeks After Surgery

I am a little over 3 weeks post op. I had the surgery for the first time last summer, with Saline implants, but developed Capsular contracture, so I got silicone now. The right breast is pain free and the left breast has a sharp pain shoot down the sides when I move suddenly. I am assuming this is nerve endings and muscle healing since they are under the muscle. But I want to be sure. I have a post op apt in 2 weeks. It hurts more if I sleep on my back, so I am sitting up still. Advice?

Sharp pain in breast 3 weeks after augmentation.

+2

This is not unusual 3 weeks after surgery when the nerves begin to recover and may be more sensitive ("dysesthesias"). Occasionally the implant may be resting on or irritating a nerve, Generally this should resolve by 3 months.

Sharp pain at three weeks after augmentation

+1

It is fairly common to have weird sensations even sharp shooting pain a few weeks after surgery as the nerves kind of "wake-up."  If very concerned, you shoudl speak to your surgeon.

Pain After Breast Revision

+1

This is probably just normal healing.  Your surgeon may have had to do a little more work on that side compared to the other side, and it is going to take more time.  Also, it is not uncommon to be more sore on one side vs. the other.  It should improve within the next 1-2 weeks.  Try and gently stretch that area out to help stretch out the healing tissue, as well as massage the area gently.  If it has not improved in two weeks, definetely address it with your surgeon at your 1 month check up.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon