Sharp Pain in Left Breast 1 Year Post-op?

I am getting over a cold that was accompanied by a nasty cough. About a week ago, while coughing, I starting noticing a sharp pain in my left breast towards the sternum. It was very painful but didn't last very long. I don't wear a bra to bed and this morning, the pain is dull but constant. Could it be a strained muscle from the intense coughing? My breast augmentation surgery was in October 2009 with no complications to date. I'm also 10 weeks pregnant and my breasts have gotten larger.

Breast pain and coughing

+1

Pain as you cough can be so many different things from true heart pain, musculoskeletal , or even pleural like a pneumonia. You need to see a doctor.

Breast Pain After Coughing Fit

+1

Most likely the cause of your pain is musculoskeletal in nature. If your breasts are soft, it is unlikely that the pain is related to your implants. That being said, the pain sounds to be persistent and I would recommend you seeing your physician.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Breast pain 1 year postop

+1

This can be due to a number of causes. If it is significant you should see your Doctor to be sure it is nothing more than musculoskeletal pain.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Chestwall pain after coughing. Is it related to my implants?

+1

Pain after coughing is probably not related to your implants but is more likely musculoskeletal in nature.  However, without a thorough exam there is really no way to know. 

My recommendation is also that you see your primary physician and have them evaluate you firsthand.  You may be wasting a little time but a sure diagnosis is definitely worth that!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

the pain should be evaluated by your physician.  it is unlikely that it is associated with the implants.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Chest pain with breast implants.

+1

You have giiven multiple possible causes for the pain  but in any event chest pain should be evaluated in person by a physician. Point tenderness over the sternal border is likely to support a musculoskeletal cause whereas inspiratory distress could be indicative of a ruptured pulmonary blebs. Discuss this with your surgeon or internist.

Pain most likely muscle strain

+1

Dear lady, the most likely cause of your pain indeed is muscle strain. In that case it should be mild and self-limiting.  A mild NSAI can help (if you tolerate this).

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon