Sharp Nerve Pain After Chin Augmentation

I had a Chin Augmentation 3 weeks ago, and I'm concerned because I have intermittent sharp nerve pain down near the base of my chin. I am really scared, and was wondering what I could do, and if it would ever go away. I can say I had significant swelling, which caused dehiscence, athough that has all healed now. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. In the same token, within days post-op I touched the area inside my mouth with my tongue and an electrical shock went through my lip. However, if I touched my chin from the outside of my mouth, this does not occur. I appreciate any feedback.

Pain after chin implant

+1

pain can occur after any kind of surgery and typically subsides over time.  If pain and/or numbness persist for a long time after surgery then it may be a sign of nerve injury.

Nerve pain after chin implant augmentation and neck lipo

+1

There is a nerve which comes out of your mandble (jaw bone) which can be irritated or injured when performing chin implant surgery. This nerve provides sensation to one half of the lower lip and chin.

Generally, it is relatively rare to injure the nerve permanently. More often than not, the nerve is stretched or compressed and may shut down for 10 days to 3 weeks (called a neuropraxia) and is similar to what happens when your foot falls asleep. As the nerve recovers (usually around 10 days-3 weeks) it becomes very excitable and causes a "pins & needles" or shooting electrical sensation like when your foot wakes up or when hitting your funny bone. These are called dysesthesias and may last for 3-6 weeks. This is the probably what is occurring in your particular situation.

Rarely the edge of the implant may irritate or pinch the nerve and certain movements may cause pain. In this rare instance the implant may need to be repositioned but that is not likely the case.

In any event, seek you surgeon's advice and give it some time for the nerves to settle down and be less excitable.

I hope this helps!

Return to your surgeon

+1

I would suggest that you return to your original surgeon and express your concerns.  Most patients in this time frame are excercising and have returned to normal activity without the symptoms you describe.  Without the benefit of actually examining you, there is little else I can say.

Darrick E. Antell, MD