Sharp Edge in Tip - 3 Months Post Op? (photo)

I am 3 months post op. With the swelling reducing I'm feeling a sharp edge in the tip when I touch it. Its noticeable in pictures. Its on my right side (left side in the picture). Its where the cartiladge should be. 1) Is it something you've encountered before? and if so, does it resolve on its own? or is 3 months pretty much just going to get worse? 2) Is it something a simple in office procedure can fix? or would fillers be an option?

Revision Rhinoplasty for Rhinoplasty Complications

+1

If you feel a know in the tip of your nose three months after a rhinoplasty, it is most likely either a suture that has not absorbed(non-absorbable types of sutures typically are not placed into the tip cartilages), a tip graft with a sharp edge, or a bossa of the tip cartilage. A bossae of the tip cartilages can occur in patients with poor structure of their tip cartilages, very thin skin or both. However, it takes about one year for the swelling to completely reduce from the tip of your nose...so this all may change.

Nasal tip edges

+1

Did you have a cartilage graft? Ask your surgeon. It is unlikely to be your normal tip cartilage.

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharp edge after rhinoplasty surgery

+1

It is possible that you are palpating the edge of your tip cartilage.   It could also be a suture knot.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to let you know what the problem is since he is aware of the technique used to perform your surgery.  

Sharp edge after rhinoplasty.

+1

Noses take 6-12 months to heal and it is normal to feel and see differences. Be patient and ask your surgeon about this at your next visit. 

Sharp Edge in Nasal Tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

You are probably feeling the edge of the tip cartilages. This can happen when tip cartilage are altered or a tip graft has been used. I suggest you wait at least another 6 months to see the final result when swelling has completely resolved and healing is complete. Depending on what is necessary at the time of revision this can be done with a limited procedure under local anesthesia.

Nasal tip after Rhinoplasty

+1

It appears that you may have some visibility of a cartilage graft.  It would be important to know exactly what was done before anyone could know for sure.  Gentle massage may alleviate this, but I would recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon first.   It is not uncommon to notice minor irregularities or asymmetry after rhinoplasty, particularly if you have very thin skin.   It is very important to remember that you will not see your final result for 9-12 months after surgery.  In general, I do not recommend any fillers in the nose.  The result is not permanent and can cause future irregularities, which can be very difficult to fix.   

Jarrod Little, MD