Does the Shape of Breast Implants Change As They Settle?

I only got my silicone breast implants 5 days ago, so know they shouldn't have dropped yet, but the right one is misshapen at the top. Will that change into a more normal shape? Thanks!

Does the Shape of Breast Implants Change As They Settle

+1

Yes, over a 6-9 month period , you will notice less upper body fullness and greater lower polefullness

Changing shape of breast implants

+1

I respectfully disagree also with Dr. Beraka.  I almost always see "high-riding" implants five days post-op.  Nor is it unusual to see some asymmetry at this stage.  I do feel that it is important to apply some sort of pressure at the top of the breasts to encourage the implants to descend into a more desirable position.

John Whitt, MD

Breast shape change after implants

+1

I will assume you have your implants in the submuscular position.  In this case, the implants should begin to drop after about 3 to 4 weeks after surgery.  The upper pole shape in this case is due to muscle spasm, which will improve.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implant shape

+1

To shape of the breast implant does not change as they settle but the shape of the breasts will. Usually after about ) months or so, the implants gradually settle to their final position. This results in loss of the upper fullness and a more natural looking breasts. In reality , most plastic surgeons consider this pre-op and place implants slightly higher than their final position.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Abnormal breast shape only 5 days post-augmentation

+1

As usual, I have to agree with Dr. Aldea.  I have been sitting patients up during surgery to check their breasts for 25+ years now so it is nothing unique to Manhattan based surgeons.  

Additionally, at only 5 days, you might have some muscle spasm or differential swelling causing what you see.  Also, it might not be as much as you think as patients commonly overestimate their asymmetries especially if they are an anxious type of person.  They also usually fail to realize that much of post-op asymmetry is just the magnification of their pre-existing pre-op asymmetries.  

Just relax, stick with your doctor's advice and see them again early if you remain concerned.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Abnormal shape to the Augmented breast

+1

Do not be alarmed. All is not lost. A few comments.

First, creating symmetric breast pocket for the implants and checking for symmetry with the patient sitting upright during breast augmentation surgery is not unique to New York as may have been construed. Rather I do it, my friends across the country do it this way and I suspect the vast majority of Plastic surgeons do it this way to increase the quality of their procedures. There is NO evidence that your surgeon in Toronto did not do it resulting in this upper pole irregularity.

Second, 5 days is way too soon to worry. I would NOT wear any support for 7-14 days to allow for implant descent and recommend you ask your surgeon for his/her opinion on if and when to initiate massage.

Lastly, yes - there could be mechanical reasons (IE hematoma, under dissected pocket, flipped implant, rotation of anatomical implant, etc) but in the vast majority of cases, you may find out that the condition you are so worried about now, like countless other "emergencies" in our lives, may very well sort itself out. So why invest all this stress into it? If you are still not happy with the way things look in 6-8 months or so, only then would I recommend going in and repairing it.

Good Luck.

Breast shape after augmentation

+1

I would politely disagree with Dr. Beraka. Breast surgery is the primary focus of my practice and I have never had a patient whose breasts looked the same on the day after surgery as they did 2-5 months after surgery. I place the great majority of the implants I use partially under the muscle and I expect them to sit a little higher after placement. As the lower breast tissue relawes with a combination of time and with the assist of implant massage in smooth implants, the implants do drop or settle into a more natural shape.

I would follow your plastic surgeons recommendations as you are very early in your recovery and be patient.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Notion that breast implants need to settle is a myth.

+1

Hi.

1)  I am sorry to tell you that I don't believe in "settling" or dropping.  The shape of your breasts after breast augmentation is determined by how the surgery is done, and your breasts should look great right after surgery, other than a little swelling.

2)  In fact, when you have breast augmentation in Manhattan, we sit you up before the end of the operation (you are still asleep, of course), to check that the size, the shape, and the symmetry are as good as they can possibly be.  If not we keep working.

3)  From your description,  I am not optimistic that your right breast will end up great, but I hope I am wrong. Change is certainly possible.  Nothing to do now.  If in six months, shape not good, you may consider a revision.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

5 days post-op

+1

At five days after surgery, it is way too early to worry about the final shape.  You have to give time for them to settle and the swelling to dissipate.