Tip Rhinoplasty Day 3?

I'm a 35 yr old Chinese male with very thick and oily skin. I had surgery to narrow the base and reduce the tip of my nose, no work was done on the bridge. I got inpatient and removed the cast to take a look on day 3. my nose looks very pinched and very little nostril flare left. I'm very concerned that I'll end up with an unnatural look. My surgeon says pinching at the base is from the cast. Is this true? Can the base actually flare back out over time after the cast is removed?

Day 3 Post Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+2

You have to be very careful. We place dressings for very specific reasons to benefit you and help you have the best outcome. The splint can pinch the tip temporarily and it also helps apply pressure that reduces some swelling. It can also hold bones in place when they are fractured during surgery. You are only 3 days post op so you really need to wait a good 6 months before you can judge the result.

Three days is early

+2

At such an early stage it is not possible to get a reasonable assessment of the nose and how it will appear.  Follow the advice of your experienced surgeon.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip Rhinoplasty Day 3?

+2

The cast should only be removed by a qualified surgeon to avoid traumatizing the freshly operated nose after the Rhinoplasty.  The tip will change shape over the next several months and if you're concerned, you should contact your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Pinching at the Base from the Cast

+2

Yes, the cast can cause a pinching effect that is temporary.   I would resist the temptation to judge the results of a rhinoplasty at this early date.

Appearance of nose in early post-opeartive period after rhinoplasty

+2

The cast can at times create a temporary pinched appearance of the tip, depending on how it was applied.  The cast will not have any effect on the width of the base of the nostrils.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Premature Dressing Removal

+1

Dear Taven:

Please don't remove your own dressings-you could potentially create more swelling or damage your own nose. Please address any concerns with your surgeon. The nose and tip will continue to change for the next 6-12 months.

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon