Shadow from Old Nipple Location Remains After Breast Lift with Implants?

I had a breast lift and implants (213 cc) implanted one and a half years ago and the scar runs around my nipple downward. As you can see, my nipple was raised BUT part of the outside of the nipple remains below the location of my new nipple.

I am disappointed with the result and asked the dr about what I could do. He is suggesting a second surgery to correct the appearance but I am wondering why he left part of the nipple (if his intention was going to make it smaller) in the first place. Is this normal?

Retained areolar skin

+2

I can't tell because we don't have preop photos but you might have had huge areolas making it hard to close the vertical limb without retaining areolar skin and its pigment. Otherwise your doctor made a little error but can correct it by revising you and excising the skin. You could use a little reshaping anyway and this could also be accomplished.

Old areola in closure

+1

Sometimes in performing a reduction or a lift, if you have a very large areola or do not need a larger lift, the border of the areola can be left at the closure level. This often can be revised at a later date when things loosen up.

Shadow from Old Nipple Location Remains After Breast Lift with Implants? Residual areola

+1

This most commonly occurs in patients undergoing a breast lift or reduction who have larger areolae prior to surgery and/or minor lift which prevents complete excision outside the borders of the original areola.

Some areolar skin left after breast lift and breast implants.

+1

HI.
If the areolas are very wide, some of the pink skin has to be left behind when doing a breast lift with breast implants. Otherwise, the skin is too tight and the breasts are deformed.
This can usually be successfully revised.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift and areolae

+1

I suspect that your areolae were very large prior to your first surgery, but this can certainly be revised by excised the remaining areola on the breasts. This is a small procedure which can potentially make you more satisfied with your results. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS