Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

What happens if you engage in sexual activity before the recommended six weeks after having had labiaplasty? Is it a dangerous risk to take?

The time to sexual activity depends on how well the surgical wounds have healed and the technique used.

+2

The earliest possible time is at three weeks.  I usually see my patients two weeks following surgery and at that point I can tell them if the area has healed adequately in order to return to exercise and sexual activity.

Sexual activity early after Labiaplasty might be dangerous

+2

The method of your surgery makes a difference here as does your healing capacity. One of the things you get with a good surgeon is post-operative care, and in this light I individualize things for patients letting them return to "gentle" activity when things look right. Early vigorous sex should be postponed a while especially in "Wedge" patients. In “Trim” method patients early activity would probably hurt more early on, but they have less risk of ripping things apart.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Sexual activity after labiaplasty

+2

The technique utilized may play a role in this. For example, the "wedge" technique may be more prone to tension than the leading edge resection.

In general, almost any wound needs approximately 3 weeks of healing to achieve satisfactory wound strength to tolerate shear and stress forces and avoid wound separration. There are numerous precations one can take when returning to sexual activities and these include:

1. A brief course of massage to the repaired labia to encourage scar maturation as well as diminish hypersensitivity.
  2. Liberal use of lubricants to minimize labial friction.
  3. Gentle and slow, manually guided penetration to avoid or minimize tension on the repaired labia.
  4. Alternative methods of coitus which prevent labial distortion or tension (other than penile or mechanical penetration).

Generally pain in one of the best indicators of your ability to return to normal sexual activities.

In a review of 50 paitents, we found that although we allowed them to engage in sexual activities at 6 weeks, many were hesitant and did not feel comfortable until 8 weeks.

Depending on your own unique wound healing status, sexual activities prior to 6 weeks may on one hand, have few consequences or have dire results such as wound separation or hematoma. If this is a concern, return to your physician prior to resuming sexula activites and inquire about the condition of your labia.f

Compromising Your Recovery

+1
I recommend patients not have sexual intercourse for the first six to eight weeks after their surgery. This is to prevent complications that could occur, such as tearing of tissues, infection and bleeding.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labiaplasty takes full six weeks to fully heal. Until then there is a risk of wound breakdown

+1

Labiaplasty, like any other surgery, takes full 6 weeks to properly heal.  Any area of the body, whether it's labia or any other part, goes through a standard healing process. Your body works to heal itself and and wound (surgical or accidental) slowly gains strength.  It takes about 6 weeks for a wound to be healed well enough to withstand typical stresses such as pressure and shear.  Before six weeks, if you are involved in a sexual activity, pressure or shear could rip apart the healing edges.

You've spend the money to get the surgery done, don't destroy your results because you're impatient

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

+1

Providing an uncomplicated recovery- typically 4 weeks for light activity, 6 weeks for anything vigorous...

Regards,

Dr Quinton Chivers

Quinton Chivers, MD, FRCS(C)

Activity after labiaplasty

+1

As with all surgery, it's very important to follow up with your plastic surgeon before returning to your full level of activity. It is usually best to wait at least six weeks to allow everything to heal.  Also, intercourse can be uncomfortable if performed prior to adequate healing.

I hope that helps and wish you the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Sexual activity after labiaplasty. \

+1

I require my patients to wait six weeks to prevent disruption of the suture lines, which can cause separation of the edges and wide scars.  In addition, intercourse can be uncomfortable.  Pain can also be increased by the trauma of intercourse if performed prior to adequate healing.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

+1

I think it is best to wait 4- 6 weeks post labiaplasty to engage in sexual activity.  Depending upon the type of procedure you may be prone to bleeding and disruption of the result.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

How long do I have to wait for intimacy after labiaplasty - Los Angeles

+1

I would recommend waiting until the sutures are completely healed and the tensile strength of the wounds are maximized.  This takes on average about 4 to 6 weeks. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS