Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

What happens if you engage in sexual activity before the recommended six weeks after having had labiaplasty? Is it a dangerous risk to take?

Labiaplasty takes full six weeks to fully heal. Until then there is a risk of wound breakdown

+2

Labiaplasty, like any other surgery, takes full 6 weeks to properly heal.  Any area of the body, whether it's labia or any other part, goes through a standard healing process. Your body works to heal itself and and wound (surgical or accidental) slowly gains strength.  It takes about 6 weeks for a wound to be healed well enough to withstand typical stresses such as pressure and shear.  Before six weeks, if you are involved in a sexual activity, pressure or shear could rip apart the healing edges.

You've spend the money to get the surgery done, don't destroy your results because you're impatient

The time to sexual activity depends on how well the surgical wounds have healed and the technique used.

+2

The earliest possible time is at three weeks.  I usually see my patients two weeks following surgery and at that point I can tell them if the area has healed adequately in order to return to exercise and sexual activity.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Sexual activity early after Labiaplasty might be dangerous

+2

The method of your surgery makes a difference here as does your healing capacity. One of the things you get with a good surgeon is post-operative care, and in this light I individualize things for patients letting them return to "gentle" activity when things look right. Early vigorous sex should be postponed a while especially in "Wedge" patients. In “Trim” method patients early activity would probably hurt more early on, but they have less risk of ripping things apart.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Sexual activity after labiaplasty

+2

The technique utilized may play a role in this. For example, the "wedge" technique may be more prone to tension than the leading edge resection.

In general, almost any wound needs approximately 3 weeks of healing to achieve satisfactory wound strength to tolerate shear and stress forces and avoid wound separration. There are numerous precations one can take when returning to sexual activities and these include:

1. A brief course of massage to the repaired labia to encourage scar maturation as well as diminish hypersensitivity.
  2. Liberal use of lubricants to minimize labial friction.
  3. Gentle and slow, manually guided penetration to avoid or minimize tension on the repaired labia.
  4. Alternative methods of coitus which prevent labial distortion or tension (other than penile or mechanical penetration).

Generally pain in one of the best indicators of your ability to return to normal sexual activities.

In a review of 50 paitents, we found that although we allowed them to engage in sexual activities at 6 weeks, many were hesitant and did not feel comfortable until 8 weeks.

Depending on your own unique wound healing status, sexual activities prior to 6 weeks may on one hand, have few consequences or have dire results such as wound separation or hematoma. If this is a concern, return to your physician prior to resuming sexula activites and inquire about the condition of your labia.f

Sex Too Soon After Labiaplasty Can Cause Problems

+1
Although your best answer is probably from your surgeon, in general it is probably best for most patients to wait 6 weeks for sufficient healing to prevent your suture line splitting open.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty & Sex: Hold your Horses for 6 weeks

+1
Labiaplasty scars are fragile and prone to separate before healing is completed. Six weeks is the average amount of time it takes to heal before sex is safe. That doesn't mean that you are OK to have sex at 6 weeks and 1 second after surgery. You need to see your surgeon at the six week mark to make sure that you have healed. A separated scar will not only delay your healing, but it will also affect your results. It's worth the wait.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City Cosmetic Gynecologist

You risk early wound separation following labiaplasty if you engage in sexual intercourse too soon.

+1
it is wise to wait 6-8 weeks after a labia minoraplasty before engaging in sexual intercourse as the incision line is too fragile early on and could potentially separate or dehisce creating a hole or a fistula.  This may then require a second procedure to repair the separation.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Sex after labiaplasty

+1
In my experience, when women had sex prior to four weeks after labiaplasty, they would have tears that would heal up but did tend to frighten them.  I used to recommend patients avoid sex for 4 weeks, but after several patients had tears, I changed my recommendation to 6 weeks and so far, no one has had any problems with tears after sex.  Of course, some of this depends on how vigorous the vaginal sex  becomes.

Susan Kolb, MD

Sexual Activity after Labiaplasty

+1
For patient to have a good result after their labiaplasty it is important to carefully follow your post-operative instructions.

I typically have patients refrain from vaginal intercourse for six weeks after the procedure. The labia skin is very soft, similar to your lips and gums and thus heals very well. However because the tissue is soft it is easy to open part of the incision early in the healing period if intercourse is started prematurely.

Waiting a couple extra weeks will allow you to achieve the results that you desire and are able to enjoy for years.

Johnny Franco, MD

Compromising Your Recovery

+1
I recommend patients not have sexual intercourse for the first six to eight weeks after their surgery. This is to prevent complications that could occur, such as tearing of tissues, infection and bleeding.

Jerome Edelstein, MD