Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

What happens if you engage in sexual activity before the recommended six weeks after having had labiaplasty? Is it a dangerous risk to take?

Activity after labiaplasty

As with all surgery, it's very important to follow up with your plastic surgeon before returning to your full level of activity. It is usually best to wait at least six weeks to allow everything to heal.  Also, intercourse can be uncomfortable if performed prior to adequate healing.

I hope that helps and wish you the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Sexual activity after labiaplasty

I generally tell patients that:
1) Procedure takes 1-2 hours depending on what is being done.
2) Swelling will last between 2-3 weeks with each week showing dramatic reduction in swelling
3) Discomfort follows swelling
4) Some areas that hypersensitive to touch may be due to sutures and can come out after 2-3 weeks
5) Not to partake in sexual activity until six weeks.  Any earlier and you can risk disrupting the incisions.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Labiaplasty recovery

Thank you for your question.  The type of incision used for the labiaplasty will dictate a bit of the recovery.  If the "V-wedge" excision is used, a part of the incision can be on the side wall of the vagina and thus you would want to make sure it is well healed before engaging in intercourse.  If you engage in intercourse earlier, you are at risk for the wound separating.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

7001 S 900 E #100
Midvale, UT 84047

Sex Too Soon After Labiaplasty Can Cause Problems

Although your best answer is probably from your surgeon, in general it is probably best for most patients to wait 6 weeks for sufficient healing to prevent your suture line splitting open.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Labiaplasty & Sex: Hold your Horses for 6 weeks

Labiaplasty scars are fragile and prone to separate before healing is completed. Six weeks is the average amount of time it takes to heal before sex is safe. That doesn't mean that you are OK to have sex at 6 weeks and 1 second after surgery. You need to see your surgeon at the six week mark to make sure that you have healed. A separated scar will not only delay your healing, but it will also affect your results. It's worth the wait.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

350 Kennedy Boulevard
Bayonne, NJ 07002

You risk early wound separation following labiaplasty if you engage in sexual intercourse too soon.

it is wise to wait 6-8 weeks after a labia minoraplasty before engaging in sexual intercourse as the incision line is too fragile early on and could potentially separate or dehisce creating a hole or a fistula.  This may then require a second procedure to repair the separation.

Sanjay Grover, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Sex after labiaplasty

In my experience, when women had sex prior to four weeks after labiaplasty, they would have tears that would heal up but did tend to frighten them.  I used to recommend patients avoid sex for 4 weeks, but after several patients had tears, I changed my recommendation to 6 weeks and so far, no one has had any problems with tears after sex.  Of course, some of this depends on how vigorous the vaginal sex  becomes.

Susan Kolb, MD

4370 Georgetown Square
Atlanta, GA 30338

Sexual Activity after Labiaplasty

For patient to have a good result after their labiaplasty it is important to carefully follow your post-operative instructions.

I typically have patients refrain from vaginal intercourse for six weeks after the procedure. The labia skin is very soft, similar to your lips and gums and thus heals very well. However because the tissue is soft it is easy to open part of the incision early in the healing period if intercourse is started prematurely.

Waiting a couple extra weeks will allow you to achieve the results that you desire and are able to enjoy for years.

Johnny Franco, MD

4513 Williams Dr
Georgetown, TX 78633

Compromising Your Recovery

I recommend patients not have sexual intercourse for the first six to eight weeks after their surgery. This is to prevent complications that could occur, such as tearing of tissues, infection and bleeding.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

362 Fairlawn Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5M 1T6

Labiaplasty takes full six weeks to fully heal. Until then there is a risk of wound breakdown

Labiaplasty, like any other surgery, takes full 6 weeks to properly heal.  Any area of the body, whether it's labia or any other part, goes through a standard healing process. Your body works to heal itself and and wound (surgical or accidental) slowly gains strength.  It takes about 6 weeks for a wound to be healed well enough to withstand typical stresses such as pressure and shear.  Before six weeks, if you are involved in a sexual activity, pressure or shear could rip apart the healing edges.

You've spend the money to get the surgery done, don't destroy your results because you're impatient

Martin Jugenburg, MD

100 Front St West
Toronto , ON M5J 1E3