Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty?

What happens if you engage in sexual activity before the recommended six weeks after having had labiaplasty? Is it a dangerous risk to take?

Sex after labiaplasty

In my experience, when women had sex prior to four weeks after labiaplasty, they would have tears that would heal up but did tend to frighten them.  I used to recommend patients avoid sex for 4 weeks, but after several patients had tears, I changed my recommendation to 6 weeks and so far, no one has had any problems with tears after sex.  Of course, some of this depends on how vigorous the vaginal sex  becomes.

Activity after labiaplasty

As with all surgery, it's very important to follow up with your plastic surgeon before returning to your full level of activity. It is usually best to wait at least six weeks to allow everything to heal.  Also, intercourse can be uncomfortable if performed prior to adequate healing.

I hope that helps and wish you the best!

Sex after Labiaplasty

It is very important that you adhere strictly to your doctor's recommendations regarding waiting for sex after labiaplasty.  If you do not, you can split open your suture line and cause a real problem.  Best of luck!

Sexual Activity After Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. The excess tissues of the labia are excised and the remaining labia is usually closed in layers while a labia reduction is performed. The scar tissues do not reach maximum strength for approximately three months and during this time, the sutures are helping to hold things in place while the tissues are healing. Excess stress on the tissues put patients at significant higher risk for the wound opening or not healing properly. As for intercourse, it is a very bad idea for the first six weeks after labia reduction as this can overly stress the tissues and increase the risk of complications. If the patient were considering investing in the process of having labia reduction I would advise that they protect their investment by allowing things to heal properly before stressing the tissues. As tempting as that might be, I would definitely avoid any sexual activity that involves intercourse for at least six weeks after surgery and possibly longer if the area is still somewhat sore.

Robert Cohen, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sexual activity after labiaplasty

I generally tell patients that:
1) Procedure takes 1-2 hours depending on what is being done.
2) Swelling will last between 2-3 weeks with each week showing dramatic reduction in swelling
3) Discomfort follows swelling
4) Some areas that hypersensitive to touch may be due to sutures and can come out after 2-3 weeks
5) Not to partake in sexual activity until six weeks.  Any earlier and you can risk disrupting the incisions.

Labiaplasty recovery

Thank you for your question.  The type of incision used for the labiaplasty will dictate a bit of the recovery.  If the "V-wedge" excision is used, a part of the incision can be on the side wall of the vagina and thus you would want to make sure it is well healed before engaging in intercourse.  If you engage in intercourse earlier, you are at risk for the wound separating.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Sex Too Soon After Labiaplasty Can Cause Problems

Although your best answer is probably from your surgeon, in general it is probably best for most patients to wait 6 weeks for sufficient healing to prevent your suture line splitting open.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty & Sex: Hold your Horses for 6 weeks

Labiaplasty scars are fragile and prone to separate before healing is completed. Six weeks is the average amount of time it takes to heal before sex is safe. That doesn't mean that you are OK to have sex at 6 weeks and 1 second after surgery. You need to see your surgeon at the six week mark to make sure that you have healed. A separated scar will not only delay your healing, but it will also affect your results. It's worth the wait.

You risk early wound separation following labiaplasty if you engage in sexual intercourse too soon.

it is wise to wait 6-8 weeks after a labia minoraplasty before engaging in sexual intercourse as the incision line is too fragile early on and could potentially separate or dehisce creating a hole or a fistula.  This may then require a second procedure to repair the separation.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Sexual Activity after Labiaplasty

For patient to have a good result after their labiaplasty it is important to carefully follow your post-operative instructions.

I typically have patients refrain from vaginal intercourse for six weeks after the procedure. The labia skin is very soft, similar to your lips and gums and thus heals very well. However because the tissue is soft it is easy to open part of the incision early in the healing period if intercourse is started prematurely.

Waiting a couple extra weeks will allow you to achieve the results that you desire and are able to enjoy for years.