Is Severe Underarm Sagging Normal After an Extensive Arm Lift?

I am 30 years old and had bil. entensive armlift 8 weeks ago. The more time passes the more I have an underarm hammock like sagging. This is the same effect that my arms had before the surgery. Is this typical?

Arm Lifting Results Normal?

+2

No, it is not “normal” to have “severe underarm sagging” after arm lifting surgery. Assuming you have had your surgery done by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you contained a follow-up with him/her to express your questions and concerns.

Sagging following arm lift procedure.

+1

Thanks so much for your question.  It is normal to have some relaxation of your tissue following this procedure.  Your skin has less elasticity in general and that is why you needed the procedure to begin.  I would give things at least 6-9 months and then make a final evaluation at that time.  If things are too lax a minor procedure can be done and you can improve the overall look at that point.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Results after Arm Lift

+1
  • 8 weeks after an arm lift you should notice a nice difference compared to how your arms looked pre-operatively.  However, it usually takes months before all of the swelling has resolved. 
  • The "sagging hammock" appearance that you mention sounds  a bit odd, so I would recommend meeting with your plastic surgeon to have him/her evaluate your arms. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Underarm Sagging After an Extensive Arm Lift

+1

It is hard to give a useful answer without at least a photo, but if I correctly interpret your description I would not think this is normal. An evaluation with your surgeon should be done to consider the options to get you toward your goals.

Thanks and best wishes.