Do I Have Severe Tubular Breasts Which Need Extensive Surgery?

Hi, I'm a 19 year old female... Recently, after trying to figure out why, I began to suspect that I have tubular breasts. I researched possible "fixes" and surgery seems to be the only option if I am to do something about it. However, I worry about how much surgery I would have to undergo... I do not want a particularly bigger size per se; I'd just like to look a bit more "normal". I also suspect I have a supernumerary nipple under the left breast. will that cause problems?

+2

Thanks for the good posted photos! If only desire correction of the tubing. Than one or 2 operations could correct. But if you want increased size with implant than may take 3 operations. Seek in person evaluations from boarded PSS in your area. 

Tuberous Breast Treatment

+1

From your pictures, it does appear that you have a moderate degree of tuberous breasts.  There are difefrent ways to correct this and acheive a good aesthetic outcome.  Usually, this involves releasing the constricted breast tissue internally, as well as releasing the lower breast tissue so that it can expand with the pressure of an implant.  An implant can help provide a better shape to the breast without changing the volume dramatically.  However, I always tell patients that the recovery process is usually at least three months for the breasts to really start to appear "normal".  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, you do have tuberous breasts but not so severe that you absolutely need surgery if you aren't looking to be bigger.  That's because the basic treatment involves implants and other maneuvers and you will be bigger from this.  A possibility is to wait until being done having kids and see how you look.  If you do something now, you might need further surgery after kids.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, you have some signs of a tuberous breast with a very prominent puffy areola and moderately narrow base.

Breasts

+1
Having a breast augmentation with a lift can help improve your tubular breasts. Make sure you speak to your surgeon. The amount off surgery is not a lot.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breast

+1

Thank you for posting your photos.  Yes, you do have a mild/moderate tuberous breast.   This will require interventions to 1) release the constriction bands that cause the tuberosity 2) release the lower pole of your breast tissue and 3) perhaps decrease the areolar size.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breasts?

+1

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures.

Yes, your pictures demonstrate some classic signs of constricted (tuberous) breast. Some of these characteristics  include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Treatment involves surgical procedures which may or may not include breast implants ( depending on your goals).

I would suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

Treatment of tuberous breast

+1

Before going into the treatment of tuberous breast, let me give you some information about it. Tuberous breast have several features; a contracted skin envelop both horizontally and vertically, a constricted breast base, a reduction in the volume of the breast parenchyma, abnormal elevation of inframammary fold, peudoherniation of the breast parenchyma into the areola, areola hypertrophy.

The treatment, as you mentioned is surgery. It involve periareolar mastopexy (lift) and implant placement. The presence of supernumerary nipple under the left breast should not affect the surgery or the results.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD