I Have Severe Swelling and Soreness What Should I Do and is It Normal?

It's been a week and two I had lipo on my abdominal and flanks and I have severe swelling and soreness what should I do and is it normal?

Swelling and Soreness Very normal after Liposuction surgery

+4

It is very normal to have swelling and soreness after any surgery especially liposuction.  Wearing a compression garment provides help and reduces the swelling and discomfort.  Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas.  The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks.  The swelling on the other hand, takes as long as 6-9 months to disappear completely.  The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed.  However, severe swelling and soreness needs to be reported to your plastic surgeon so that if there is any issues they can be addressed. 

Bruising and soreness after liposuction

+3
Swelling and soreness are normal after liposuction but can be mitigated by wearing an appropriate compression garment. If you have not been wearing a garment or, if the one you were given has become too loose for you, obtain a replacement which is properly sized. Swelling should gradually decrease over time along iwth the soreness.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Soreness after lipo

+3

Yes your circumstance is quite normal.   We find the use of a post lipo garment helps things considerably.  You will find this improves in a few weeks.  You can then enjoy the results of your lipo.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Check back with the doctor who did your liposuction if you have concerns.

+1

The severe swelling and soreness could be just healing, however a rare infection could also be possible.  Check back with your doctor.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Severe swelling and soreness

+1

It is pretty unusual to have severe soreness two weeks after liposuction but swelling is fairly normal.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.