Severe swelling after Volbella lip filler. Can I have some advice? (Photo)

Hi I've had fillers before and always experienced a small amount of swelling, but 5 hours after 1 vial of Volbella ( the first time I have had this filler) and my top lip feels like it's about to pop. The swelling is severe and very uncomfortable. If this continues I honestly think my lips will start to split. I've iced them and taken arnica (for the week leading up to the injections) but this swelling is really quite scary. I could use some advice on this please...

See your injector

+1
Swelling, redness, discomfort and bruising is common during the first few days following an injection treatment, however this appears quite severe. I suggest you see your injector. In the meantime, you can use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Do not keep it on for too long to minimize the risk of frostbite (since your lips may be numb you won't be able to feel the cold as much). Keep your head elevated.

Severe swelling after Volbella

+1
Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler for the lips available in Canada, and I have therefore not had experience with it, but it is similar to other hyaluronic acid fillers that I have worked with.

You are smart to ice it, but I really think you should see your doctor, who may consider injecting some hyaluronidase and/or perhaps giving you some prednisone. The swelling generally starts to come down very soon thereafter.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD