I Have Severe Sleep Apnea and Would Like to Have Rhinoplasty What Mask Should I Use After Surgery? (photo)

I sleep w a full face mask I am a mouth breather it puts a lot of pressure on the nasal bridge leaving a red mark. nowhere else. Sleeping w/o the mask raises BP. I will need a dorsal hump removal Septoplasty and Turbinites need to be reduced. I have also tried a mouth only mask and I CAN'T seem to sleep with that. Is this mask an option it doesn't touch the nose in anyway the link w pics is below thanks 

I Have Severe Sleep Apnea and Would Like to Have Rhinoplasty What Mask Should I Use After Surgery?

+2

Yes, IMHO, you wouldn't be able to wear the full face CPAP mask for at least 6 months following a Rhinoplasty.  The photo of the oral airway shouldn't be a problem.  

Sleep apnea mask post op

+2

You are going to have a real challenge here since the very nature of CPAP is forced positive pressure which is not ideal on early post op intranasal surgery. Definitely bring your masks in to review with your surgeon. Consider using a supplemental oxygen face tent for the first week or so instead of CPAP if you can tolerate that. Good luck!

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep apnea and rhinoplasty surgery which mask to use?

+2
Hopefully a few weeks post surgery you will not need the mask and be able to breath fine out of your nose. If the mask does not push on the nose in anyway this should be fine post surgery. I would suggest bringing the mask into the office with you at your consultation or preoperative appointment so that it may be cleared by your surgeon and anesthesiologist for proper fit and function. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD