How Severe is my Underbite? How Can I Go About Fixing This when I'm a Poor Teenager? (photo)

I'm a 16 year old teenager and my dad can't afford the money to buy braces/fix my jaw so I don't know how I'll be able to get the money to get braces, it will probably be until when I'm an adult where it is most probably too late as my jaw becomes skeletal, right? My dad is too stubborn to be concerned about my jaw issues hence I don't want him to be involved... I don't know what to do and I'm scared as I've some symptoms of TMJ (popping sound every time I open jaw and jaw pain) Please help me

Treating Underbite

+2

Your treatment is not simple and your type of bite (under bite) accounts for less than 10% of all abnormal bites. Your situation is generally treated in two phases. Phase one would address the upper arch development and phase two would straighten the teeth. Perhaps you could convince your dad to help you with phase one treatment which would entail developing the upper arch and eliminating the under bite. This is the more severe problem. Later, when you're more established and out of school you can have braces put on your teeth to straighten them.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist