How severe is my deviated septum? (Photo)

The left side of my nose (Your right), feels bruised to the touch, from the tip to the middle part of the bridge. I've noticed that I do not get the same amount of oxygen quality on my left nostril as the right. I also have chronic post nasal, following recent headaches. Any suggestions? Warm regards!

The Causes of Nasal Obstruction Are Multifactorial

+1
Anytime a patient cannot breathe well through the nose it can be due to 2 generally reasons:

1)  Narrowing of the nasal passageways 
2)  Inflammation in the nose secondary to medical problems

To best understand the cause of your nasal obstruction, you need to see a rhinoplasty or nasal expert.  They will ask you many question to find out if you have medical issues (allergies, sinusitis) and do a full exam to see if you have a narrow nasal airway.  Some causes of a narrowed nasal airway are:

1)  Deviate Septum
2)  Turbinate Hypertropy
3)  Narrowed Nasal Valves

I hope this helps

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

A reputable ENT or rhinoplasty specialist could address your concerns about your deviated nasal septum.

+1
The base view of your nose shows asymmetry, but the extent of septal deviation would need to be judged on anterior and posterior rhinoscopy which could be performed by an ENT or rhinoplasty specialist.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Severity of a deviated septum

+1
A deviated nasal septum is very common and comes in a variety degrees of severity. Nostril asymmetry and symptoms of congestion or blockage suggest a deviated nasal septum. There isn't a strict criteria as to degree of severity, however, many plastic surgeons may use terms mild, moderate, or severe to convey the severity. If you haven't already, then speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon