Will V Beam Help Severe Melasma?

I have melasma and the skin underneath is very red. I have had a mild chemicl peel which made the melasma worse and left a dark brown line by my jaw line and cheeks. I had the Cosmelan peel which made my face very red. My current Dermatologist wants to use the Candela Vbeam laser to treat me. Do you think I would be a good canidate for this? I have been using triluma with minimal success. I am very aprehensive that this laser treatment may make my condition worse. Please help

Topical creams and laser for melasma

+1

Lasers cannot treat melasma alone. I would speak to your doctor about combining laser or IPL treatments with topical skin lighteners such as Melarase. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

VBeam Laser for Melasma?

+1

Hi rnewman.  We agree with you and would not move forward with the V-Beam.  If your dermatologist is suggesting this laser as a way to get rid of redness, that would be a common use for it.  The problem is that if you have Melasma and use the laser in the same area as the Melasma, it's likely to make it worse.

We were not quite sure what you meant by the statement "the skin underneath is very red".  Does this mean the skin on a different area of the face or the skin in the same location of the Melasma.  If the redness you are concerned about is in an altogether different location than the Melasma, then it my be a reasonable option to try the V-Beam to address the redness.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD