Is it normal to have severe fluid retention and dark purple bruises under my eyes after upper eyelid surgery? (Photo)

Had upper eyelid surgery tuesday morn and its friday now. This has progressively got worse since then. No pain. Parts are turning yellow but I have a thick dark purple line along the bottom of the eyebag with what looks like fluid in. Didn't expect this from upper eyelid surgery. Help please. Sue

Bruising under eyes

+1
Thank you for your question. Yes it is completely normal to have bruising and swelling under the eyes after having an upper lid blepharoplasty. It is caused by the gravity effect. The fluids, bruising and swelling settle under the eyes which takes 2-4 weeks to disappear. You can apply heat after day 10 to help. Good luck

Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Severe bruising after upper lid blepharoplasty

+1
  • Bruising is common after upper lid blepharoplasty and it usually ends up below the eye,
  • It usually not as severe as yours,
  • If you took aspirin, ibuprofen or any other anti-inflammatory 2 weeks before surgery, it would cause this marked bruising,
  • Bruising moves down the face, changing color as it goes,
  • It will take 3 weeks to disappear, maybe 4,
  • Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Is it normal to have severe fluid retention and dark purple bruises under my eyes after upper eyelid surgery?

+1
Though not the norm this could happen. Allow 10 days of healing than become concerned if not fully healed by than.... 

Yes, this is typical bruising with eyelid surgery.

+1
It is completely normal to have bruising and swelling in the lower eyelid and even the face after upper eyelid surgery.  We instruct our patients to avoid medications and herbal over the counter products that interfere with platelet function for 3 weeks prior to surgery to help minimize this type of bruising.  Yes, the timing you are describing is pretty typical.  If you are having pain, vision loss, or an expanding bruise, these symptoms should be brought to the attention of your surgeon immediately.

Bruising and swelling after blepharoplasty

+1

Yes, bruising and swelling is normal and marches down the cheek over time.  Please call your doctor's office and following up with your surgeon in his/her office.

Follow all of your instructions specifically.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS