Severe Asymmetry Before and After BA? (photo)

I had a Breast lift with Augmentation done 6 weeks ago. I know it's only been 6 weeks. I was a C cup in the left breast, and the right breast was a DD. I have a 375cc implant in the left side and a 300cc implant in the right side. My Dr. made sure they were even before he was done, and they were the same size the first 2 days after surgery. My left implant is still pretty high up, while the right side, I believe has dropped. My question is what's going on, will they level out?

One Breast Tends To Be More Swollen Than The Other

+1

Your pictures were very helpful in illustrating your concern. There is visible asymmetry, with the right hanging noticeably lower than the left.

As you know, it is still too early to determine whether your breasts will remain in the condition they are at right now. You are still recovering from surgery, which means you're probably still swollen. Your implants may not have settled as well, and scar tissue is still forming. I would say that in the majority of my patients, one breast is always a little more sore / swollen / bruised initially, and one often takes longer to settle than the other.  It can take up to one full year to see the final results of your surgery, as your body gradually adjusts to the implants. In a year, you may be very pleased with the results and your breasts may be more symmetrical.

In the meantime, however, you can certainly speak to your surgeon. Any reputable surgeon will take the time to address your concerns. Monitor your appearance in the upcoming weeks and months, and keep in touch with your surgeon so they know about your progress.

Breast Aysmmetry

+1

I suggest you consult with your Plastic Surgeon regarding your concerns.  You are still in the healing phase.  He may want to schedule a breast revision after you are healed.  It is unusual to have a breast revision after an augmentation, but all patients heal differently. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breasts Asymmetry Before & After Surgery

+1

Dear Bec,

Based on the photos you have posted, you do have asymmetrical breasts before and after your surgery but you are at about 2 months post surgery.

So, it is recommended that you have a little more patience and wait till you establish full recovery.

Upon establishment of the final results, you can communicate with your surgeon and assess the situation and if you are still unsatisfied with your results you can consider/plan a revision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry you are referring to is visible in the pictures you have posted. Given that you are only 6 weeks out of surgery, we may not be seeing the final results of the procedure. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. It may take anywhere from 6 months to one year postoperatively for the breasts to reach their long-term “state”.

Generally speaking, breast augmentation/mastopexy surgery is a relatively complicated breast operation associated with a higher risk of complications and/or need for further surgery compared  to breast augmentation or breast lifting when done alone. There are many variables involved including issues such as skin elasticity loss, breast implant pocket dissection, breast implant “settling” and/or movement, patient individual scarring issues...

If significant breast asymmetry persists after the breasts have reached their final state, revisionary breast surgery may be helpful. Exactly what  operation will be indicated will depend on  your physical exam findings and goals.

Severe Asymmetry before and after BA

+1

Like you said it is still six weeks since surgery. It may take up 6 months before the breast swelling settles and sometimes longer than that. During that time you have to be patient and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Uneven after BA and lift

+1

I think it is too early to start worrying right now. Too much swelling. On the other hand you may be right that there are some differences that persist. Hang in there for now.

Ronald Schuster, MD