Severe Acne Scars - Best option? (photo)

I have had severe scarring since i was 16. I went through 5 fraxels in 2008 from a well reputed doctor, did'nt help much. Certain options are: Excision (i have too many scars to excise) Dermal Grafting and fillers (most of them are ice picks, dont know if that would work). Is Dermarolling is not that invasive for my kind of scarring? TCA CROSS (Have tried 5 rounds, nothing much happened) Dermabrasion & CO2 laser(too invasive for my skin tone - afraid of more complications). Kindly advice.

Options for Acne Scarring

+3

Not surprisingly the Fraxel treatments did not work.  We have many patients referred to us for acne scar consultation and treatments who had many fraxel (or similar lasers) treatments with minimal (mostly temporary) improvement.  Your acne scarring is severe but a combination of several of the other treatments you mentioned done correctly and in the right order, will tremendously improve your scarring. But some of those treatments that will be most effective for you will require downtime. All of this can be best discussed in person during a consultation.  I also see active acne lesions, some that appear cystic, that need to be treated aggressively to prevent further scarring. Thus, I do hope you are being seen and treated for your acne by a dermatologist.  The photos that you can view through the link below are mostly a result of either filling alone or filling and electrosurgery (electrocautery). 

Severe Acne Scarring and how to treat after multiple different treatments with fraxel

+2

Your acne scarring is really affecting almost all aspects of your skin and mainly your cheeks. Your scarring will be difficult. But I treated scarring of your severity and even worse. There are many options. To get you off to the right start I would a multi layered approach. I am sure that I can improve this for you to a signficant degree. We will follow this with a co2 resurfacing at some point to really reconstruct things for you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

For acne scars we have a few options for you. We have Profractional laser treatment and micro laser peel. If you are looking for wow results you can also do a mini face lift. Its sounds a little extreme but if you think about it, It is stretching your skin and helping with the deep scars that the laser’s do not touch.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS