How Many Sessions Would I Need to Remove Hyperpegmentation Due to Old Acne?

I have had acne since 13 years old, I am now 27.. It has improved a little, but I still have hyperpegmented scars and some comedones. Do u think microdermabrasion or acid peel would give me fast and good results? I don't have quite a high budget. And I was thinking of microdermabrasion, but I would like to know when will I see results? Thank u!

Hyperpigmenation & Comedones

+1
Thank you for your question.  Given your situation and budget, I would recommend a prescription strenght skin care program such as Obagi-Nuderm.  This would be effective in clearing the hyperpigmentation and controlling the comedones and breakouts.  This would be far more cost-effective than dermabrasions or chemical peels.  It will take 3-5 months for maximal improvement but you should see improvement within a month if used as directed. Best wishes!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Improving Hyperpigmentation from Acne

+1

This question cannot be answered without seeing you in person or at least seeing photos.  There are many at-home treatments including topicals such as RetinA and hydroquinoine as well as office-based treatments such as micro-dermabrasion and chemical peeling which can all improve discoloration secondary to acne. None are going to get rid of the problem in a short time period and require a bit of patience on the part of the patient. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist so as not to waste your time or your money and hopefully get the results you are looking for safely. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Acne scars and pigmentation

+1

On a tight budget I think you should look at getting Retin A or one of its cousins as part of your night time program and look into an exfoliating skin care system for regular daytime use.  I like the Clenziderm system made by Obagi which can be used in conjunction with Retin A.  Office based procdures which can add to the overall effect would include DermaSweep Epi-Infusion treatments and even an occasional chemical peel such as TheraPlex or The Perfect Peel.  All will help and none will break the bank.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon