Juvederm vs Voluma: What's Best for Minor Filling and Lifting?

I am 43 but often told I look young for my age. I recently went to an aesthetic clinic who recommended I have 3 treatments of juverderm every 15 days. Previously with another doctor I have had one session of juverderm with mesotherapy and told to return in 5 months. The new doctor say as a pale Brit living in Spain I need 3 sessions to construct a stronger matrix. Later she suggested Voluma as it lasts longer! Is this normal? Especially when I donĀ“t think I need lots of work or heavy filling? Thank you

Voluma versus Juvederm

+2

Without seeing you in person or seeing pictures, it is impossible to give you specific recommendations. However, it is not uncommon to recommend a combination of fillers for different parts of the face. Additionally, it is not uncommon to stage injections over a few sessions to help achieve a more natural result. Oftentimes, some overzealous injections or unethical injections sell patients way too many products and fill them up way beyond what is necessary. I prefer to inject much more conservatively, reevaluate the patient after several weeks and then inject more if necessary. This way, the patient can maintain a very natural result without drastic changes. As for the type of filler, Voluma is good for deep injections over bones, such as the mid face and over the mandible to help lift. Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus are better in the soft tissue to help smooth moderate wrinkles and creases of the skin.

Good Luck.

Voluma experience is new; stay tuned

+2

The use of Voluma in the United States is limited as it was just recently approved by the FDA as a filler. In the past, experience has shown us that some of the claims made in other countries are just not found to be true here in the USA and I don't have an explanation for that. For example, when Radiesse (initially called Radiance) was introduced, it was claimed to have results that persisted for 5 years. In clinical practice that does not seem to be the case. What does appear to be true is that large volumes of Voluma are required to obtain results seen in the approval studies with an average of 4.8ml (almost 5 syringes) with 82% asking for an average supplemental injection at the touch up period. This means that nearly 82% of patients required an average of nearly 7 syringes. That is somewhat more than my average patient requests or is willing to spend, so you must be aware of this. Of course, this could be balanced against the cost of repeated injections for a shorter acting filler or the use of traditional augmentation procedures such as fat transfer or cheek implants. I guess it will take some time to determine its role in the next 5 years. Stay tuned

Voluma Can Be Used for Maximal Volume Correction with a Minimal Amount (1 Syringe or less) in Appropriate Patients.

+1
Hi Xica,

For all of the consultations that you have had, I would advise you to get some more.  As a young woman who doesn't seem to need much, it seems that the advice you have received is better suited to pad the bank accounts of the treating physicians rather than padding your face with appropriate volume.  As with all facial aesthetic procedures, choose your injecting physician most carefully, based on artistic vision, experience, and technical skill.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

+1
Voluma is Juvederm. There is plain Juvederm, which is their shortest acting hyaluronic acid product, the Juverderm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus (UP), each respectively lasting longer. The UP usually lasts about a years in the upper lip.

Juvederm Voluma is their latest product and most of it will last over 2 years. However, Voluma is not FDA approved for use in the lips yet. I expect it will be used in that area with time--such use is called off-label use of the product. Many products were used off-label by surgeons once they got comfortable with it--even Botox.

Voluma is FDA approved for cheeks and mid face areas only at this time, I have found it to be very satisfactory. 

I have found that using an UltraSculpt micro-cannula for injecting Juverderm UP will give a satisfactory result for about a year, and often longer, particularly in the upper lip.

Regarding lifting, re-volumizing volume deficient areas with any product will have a lifting effect, e.g., revolumizing the cheeks and mid face will lift the nasolabial folds and lower cheek areas.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is the only filler FDA approved to correct age-related volume loss in the cheek

+1

Voluma has the unique property of having a higher cohesivity than any previous hyaluronic (HA)acid products. What that means is, it stays where it's injected. So, to lift and fill the cheeks, Voluma is best at doing just that. Prior, Juvederm and other HA fillers would lift and fill mildly. What they did best was fill wrinkles and folds. Just yesterday I had a patient who had a few cc of Juvederm injected to fill and lift her cheeks (by a previous physician), but the filler spread out and didn't give the strong lift that Voluma does. She was thrilled with just one cc of Voluma.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

You have answered your own question!

+1

If you do not think you need to have anything done, do not do anything. Just because an aesthetic clinic (which makes a profit off of you) tells you that you need something does not mean that you actually need to have it done.

I recommend that you see a plastic surgeon and discuss this matter with a professional.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Juvederm, Voluma, and the Truth

+1

If you're looking for improvement to the lips, parentheses lines or deep circles under the eyes, Juvederm works great for this and lasts up to 1 year. Voluma is perfect for improving volume to the cheek bones. Typically you need 1-2 syringes to achieve the result you're looking for but returning every 15 days is excessive. If after 2 weeks you want a tweak or slight improvement, this may need less than 1cc but not a repeat of the previous treatment.

Jonathan Kaplan, MD, MPH

Juvederm Voluma as a long lasting facial filler

+1

Injectable fillers are extremely effective for subtle facial rejuvenation and making one look refreshed. Juvederm Voluma was recently FDA approved in the United States but I had experience with it 3 years ago in Toronto, Canada and I can tell you it is an excellent filler product for long-lasting midfacial volume filling, which is performing a subtle cheek lift in my hands. You can achieve excellent results in the cheeks with many other fillers as well including Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Restylane, Radiesse, Perlane, and Sculptra. Talk to you doctor about which filler is best for you to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.

Kian Karimi, MD

Juvederm

+1

Can you please post a few pictures so we can tell you what we would recommend? It's hard to answer you without these pictures. As for your MD, if you don't trust their opinion, see another MD in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)