How Many Sessions I Will Have to Attend and How Much Do You Think It Will Cost? (photo)

I have a small black tattoo, it's initials, and I would like to get it removed. I got it in July 2012. How much do you think it will cost and how many sessions I will have to attend?

Cost for Tattoo Removal

+1
The cost for your tattoo removal is dependent on the size and the number of treatments required for complete clearance.  98% of all tattoos contain black ink, which typically has a excellent capacity for complete clearance, but there are some black inks which have proven resistant and require more treatments than others.  You can expect to undergo anywhere from 5-15 treatments to obtain complete clearance of your tattoo with each treatment in the $150 range.  Claims of decreased treatment sessions using specific lasers or protocols are unproven and no physician can definitively say how many sessions you will require as clearance will depend on the quality and characteristics of the tattoo ink in question.    Find a provider you trust and I am sure you will be very happy with the cosmetic result and value of the services provided.
Best Regards,
Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

One session using the R0 protocol might work for black tattoo removal.

+1

Please see the link attached for more details of the R0 protocol.  This allows for rapid treatment, up to 4 passes, in a single session, if the skin tolerates it.  Black is a good pigment for the laser to remove.  A second session can be done 8 weeks later if needed.  Cost is related to size and if under 3 square inches, it's about $100 per pass.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Remove tattoos faster with the new Picosure laser

+1

The current lasers on the market, even the ones thought to be the best, will remove a black ink tattoo in 6 to 8 sessions to the point that it would be much less visible. But for reasons we can't always explain, even some black tattoos can take more than a dozen treatments to fade. There is a new laser, the Picosure Laser which in studies has shown a significant reduction in treatments to achieve clearing because it can deliver pulses to the tattoo that shatters the ink in a way which makes it smaller and allows the body to carry it away faster.  So now, with this laser, black ink tattoos are clearing in as little as 2 or 3 treatments.  There are currently only 15 of these lasers in the world, so you may have to wait until one comes to your area or start treatments with the current lasers on the market at about $75-$150 per treatment.  Good Luck!!

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist