First Session of Diode Laser Hair Removal Resulted in Blister on the Left Side of my Lower Lip.

the dermatologist has assured me this won't leave a scar but i am scared that it will. I am applying metafumeroate cream before applying my post laser cream to this blister. how can i be assured that the next session won't result in a similar problem. what if it leaves more blisters? please help. why wasnt i recommended the ND yag laser in the first place....are the chances of a burn less in ND Yag? thanks.

Adverse Events Following Laser Hair Removal

+2

I  am sorry to see you experienced an adverse event.  Gentle cleansing and an antibiotic ointment is ideal while in the healing phase.  Daily sunscreen use will also help decrease the pigment over time.

Judging from your photo, it appears that you are a skin type V.   Skin type is very important to consider when choosing the appropriate  laser for a patient. In our practice, we typically use the1064 NdYag laser  in skin types V and VI to prevent such an occurrence. I recommend forgoing further treatments with the Diode laser and searching out a facility that offers treatment with a 1064 NdYag laser.  This will ensure both a safe and effective treatment.

Laser hair removal on skin of color

+2

Although the laser lightsheer diode laser has and is done well on many patients of skin of color, there is a greater chance of excessive energy absorbtion at the surface of the skin with this laser than compared with the 1064nm. wavelength of the NdYag laser.  The second frequency of the NdYag laser, 532nm., should be avoided as this would be absorbed by the epidermis and create more heat there.  If a diode laser is used the test spots can give the physician a guide as to what energy level to use. The lowest energy to get a slight reaction around the hair follicle, making sure all hairs are shaved off first, will decrease the risk of blisters or hyperpigmentation.  If pulses overlap too much more energy is then absorbed by the epidermis and this can increase the risk of hyperpigmentation and this can happen with both the diode and NdYag lasers.  Many times the pigmentation resolves, over time.  Lightening creams and other treatment may help.  Certainly, you should not have the diode laser again as your skin may be too sensitive. Consider having the 1064nm. laser with test spots done prior to a full treatment.

Ronald Shelton, MD