Breast Augmentation Seroma Treatment with a Pill?

I had cosmetic surgery a couple of weeks ago, and I have some blood/fluid build up (a seroma I think?). I already had the fluid drained once at my doctor's office a few days after my breast augmentation, and I'd rather not go back again.  Is there a medication or pill my doctor can subscribe for me that will eliminate the seroma?

Pill for seroma

+5

There is unfortunately no pill for seroma.

Seromas around breast implants are particularly important to drain because if they become infected, the patient may lose their implant.

They are also more difficult to deal with because of the presence of the implant, which can be damaged by a needle.

So unfortunately no seroma pill.

No pills will do

+4

You might want to ask your doctor to consider an ultrasound to evaluate if there is much fluid still around the implant. A small amount will reabsorb by itself. More might need to be drained again. Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

There is no magic pill for seromas

+3

Bbabyk,

Unfortunately, there is no magic pill for seromas. You may end up needing a couple of drainages. If it is persistent, they may be able to leave the drain in it, so you don't need to be continually poked. If that does not work, you may need to have it sclerosed or, in rare cases, have another surgery. However, after just one drainage, don't get too worried. Good luck with your recovery.

David Shafer, MD

Seroma following augmentation

+2

There is not pill to treat a seroma.  Physicians sometimes prescribe corticosteroids to reduce inflammation, but a seroma must be drained to reduce the risk of capsule formation or infection.  This can be achieved with a needle or a drain.  It can usually be done in the office under local anesthesia.

Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Non -invasive medical treatment of breast implant seroma

+2

Seromas are generally a technical mechanical problem and not necessarily a medical problem that could or should be treated with medication.

Seroma after Breast Augmentation Surgery

+2

I agree with my colleagues. A breast seroma or hematoma after breast augmentation surgery needs to be aggressively treated. If it left untreated it can result in an infection and loss of implant and/or a capsular contracture or hardening around the implants years after your surgery.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Sonogram guided aspiration is the treatment for seroma after breast augmentation.

+2

Hi.

This is a serious problem that will lead to hard breasts or to infection if not dealt with aggressively. Blind aspiration around breast implants can puncture the implant. There is no pill.

In New York City, we send patients to an interventional radiologist for ultra sound guided aspiration of the seroma and a drain if necessary.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pills for seromas

+2

There is no pll that I am aware of that can treat a seroma cavity.  But, it has to be drained so that you do not get an infection.

No oral pill available

+2

No oral pill available to eliminate seroma, the following are helpfull methonds:

1-Repeat aspiration,compression.

2-Insertion of a drain if needed.

3-Injection of tetracycline into the drain tube.

4-In reccurent cases the only option left is to explore and remove the seroma cavity.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Seroma treatment

+1

There is no pill that can reduce or eliminate a seroma. Unfortunately, it has to be drained by your surgeon. If it is really small, your body will eventually absorb the fluid, but it is again up to your surgeon to make that call.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD