Seroma or Tissue? (photo)

I am 9 days PO and it feels like I have a seroma under my chin. It feels like fluid not tissue. my doctor said it was not but didn't even feel it.. what should I do? If feels like it is getting tighter daily.

Seroma or hematoma after necklift

+2

None of us cannot tell exactly what it is from a picture. We need to touch it to knwo if it is fluid or blood. Your surgeon should examine you thoroughly, which includes touching your neck. Failing to do so is improper and negligent. A hematoma can be serious and needs to be drained so that the overlying skin of your neck heals without complications.

Seroma at 9 Days after Necklift

+1

Seroma would be the most likely diagnosis at this early time following necklift.   I must admit that I would feel the area to determine if this was fluid or indurated tissue.

Exam Needed to distinguish Seroma, Hematoma and localized Edema

+1

I cannot tell by a photo if it is edema, seroma or hematoma. However, your surgeon can quickly tell by examination. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Seroma after neck procedure

+1

Not sure if you had liposuction or surgical neck lift? It does appear that you have an accumulation of fluid under the skin. It could be hematoma or seroma. Usually, a clinical exam is suffice to tell if there is fluid build up. If it's unclear, ultrasound will clarify the diagnosis. Another way is to just aspirated with a needle and see what comes out. This should be addressed by your surgeon. If you still can get your surgeon to treat it then it's time for second opinion.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Seroma after neck lift should be aspirated right away.

+1

Hi.

You are right. It does look like fluid.  A sonogram can tell for sure.  But if you ignore it, it becomes permanent internal scar tissue.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)