Seroma or Scar Tissue?

I had a small seroma after a mini tummy tuck. I got it drained until he could not pull anymore fluid out. There area is still puffy and is not starting to harden and my tummy looks worse because I did not have this bulge or lump before hand. I do not know what to do. My surgery was 5/2/12.

Firmness following Seroma resolution usually resolves

+1

Your description is probably normal healing following seroma resolution. Often times there is edema that is persistent and slowly resolves. Use of  compression garment helps and sometimes massage once your plastic surgeon feels that this is warranted.

Seroma or Scar Tissue?

+1

Seromas do have a tendency to recur, so seeing your surgeon is important, a recurrence can be aspirated, or a small drain can be inserted.

It is not uncommon to have prolonged swelling in the area that had a fluid collection, so it is still reasonable to expect it to resolve. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Hello

+1

Usually after a seroma you can start getting scar tissue; you should get deep tissue massage to help break down that scar tissue. Applying a tight compression garment can also help. It’s only been 2 months since you surgery you are still swollen it takes 6-9 months for that to completely subside.

Post operative Seroma

+1

What you are experiencing sounds normal. If the seroma was adequately draned and has not requred then, you will have a period of time where the skin and subcutanteous tissue in the area of the seroma will have edema or swelling. Compression with a post operative abdominoplasty garmet or binder can help resolve this issue more quickly. Consider checking back with your surgeon who performed your procedure to make sure you are on the right post-operative course. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon