Can a Seroma/hematoma Be Absorbed by the Body on Its Own...how Long Will It Take?

After my 1 month post op (Breast augmentation) appointment some trauma to my breast after massage from PS. Now i have severe swelling...PS says he does not want to drain it and to wait for body to absorb..what are my changes ?

+6

Based on the kindly posted frontal breast photo I recommend immediate drainage. Seek opinions from boarded PSS in San Diego. E/ail me if you would like referrals. BTW who did the operation? 

Seroma/hematoma after breast augmentation

+5

You clearly have an abnormal fluid collection around the right breast implant.  I think 99% of plastic surgeons would suggest draining it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Hematoma or seroma after a breast augmentation

+5

Hematomas eventually get absorbed, while seromas may not.  Seromas can get absorbed but when they do the time it takes is much longer than a hematoma.  However, looking at your picture I think you should not go on looking like this.  It should be drained.  A second opinion from a board certified Plastic Surgeon is in order.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Small seromas will absorb, but larger ones are a focus for infection

+4

Small hematomas and seromas can absorb, but yours is large.  That means that you have a pocket of fluid that can be the site of an infection, which may mean that the implant will have to be temporarily removed.  Don't take that chance.  Get another opinion from an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma/seroma after surgery

+4

I would recommend drainage of the affected side.  This will hopefully restore form and symmetry.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Seroma or hematoma treatment after breast augmentation

+4

In your photo the right breast is about twice the size of the left. That is a significant collection of blood (hematoma) or fluid (seroma), possibly as much as a few hundred cc's. Not only is it distorting the breast but it is also nidus for infection. If there are any bacteria floating around in your body they could land in this area and multiply since the collection is like food the them. If your surgeon does not want to do it see if he/she will refer you to a radiologist. Under ultrasound guidance the radiologist can drain it if it is liquid and place a drainage tube if necessary. The longer you let this sit the greater the risk you will have future problems - infection, capsular contracture etc.

You should ask your surgeon to send you to a colleague for a second opinion if he/she will not drain it or send you to a radiologist for drainage. I seriously doubt this will resolve on its own.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Seroma

+4

it looks to me per your photo that you have a seroma-i would return to your PS to get his recommendations to treat it-most likely draining it.  Please make sure you keep up with all your follow-up treatments with your PS

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Seroma of breast should be drained

+4

Most probably what you have is a seroma, an accumulation of fluid in the pocket around the implant, and it is quite substantial. This will not likely resolve on its own and may become a chronic and problematic issue aside from the aesthetic component. Drainage is easy and straightforward and should be performed now - there is no reason to wait.

For further confirmation, you can seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area provided that your surgeon does not want to drain this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

This should be drained

+4

As the other doctors have mentioned, this is either a hematoma or an seroma.  Either way it should be drained.  If it is really a collection of blood, there is a risk that it could become infected, causing more problems.  If it is a seroma, it may or may not resolve on its own, and could lead to stretching of the space surrounding the implant in the meantime, which would cause long term asymmetry in the appearance of your breasts.  Besides all that, it is a simple procedure to remove the fluid and give you a nice result. 

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Seroma/Hematoma Draining

+3

I agree with the other doctors in that this needs to be drained.  If you waited it could take a very long time for it to go away on its own, if it even does completely go away.  I would address these concerns with your plastic surgeon again. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon