Seroma from TT...Need Help?

I had TT sx in the Dominican Republic on August 2. Drain was removed after 5 days. Now I have a seroma on my belly above my incision. No pain. No other complications. I know Drs are hesitant to touch me d/t sx abroad. I need advice on what I should do... I just want it drained so I can move on... please help....

Complications after surgery abroad

+1

Seroma is the most common complication after small wound problems in TT. It happens. I am sure a local plastic surgeon should be able to help. Often times is not a serious problems but requires diligent management. Serial aspirations or a drain might be necessary. Don't wait. Contact a local board certified plastic surgeon. Best to you!

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Complications following surgery abroad

+1

You will need to make phone calls and contact local plastic surgeons to help you through this.  It will cost fees since you didn't have the surgery with them but someone should be able to help you through the healing process but if your seroma doesn't resolve, it could need surgery and you either can stay in the States and considerable cost or take the trip back to your surgeon but plan on staying longer to ensure you are outside the risks for problems.

Complications of surgeries abroad.

+1

This is always a tricky subject.  I have done procedures on patients that live far away and it is very stressful to manage complications remotely.  I try my best to find somebody locally that can handle my patient problems or talk to whomever my patient decides to go to so I can assist in the care.  I think that if a surgeon is going to perform a procedure to a patient that lives far away then he/she better have a plan in case something goes wrong otherwise it is very irresponsible to leave the patient to their own devices.

Regarding the seroma, I don't think it is a major problem.  Most seromas will stop filling up after a few weekly aspirations done with needle and sirynge in the office... DrBrou

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after tummy tuck

+1

Sorry that you are having a problem after tummy tuck.  Try to contact your local plastic surgeon and see she/he can manage the seroma for you.  Seroma will may require serial aspiration vs. drain tube placement.  Although it is not emergent, it will need to be addressed soon.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Caring for a complication from overseas plastic surgery

+1

Every plastic surgeon has their own policy about seeing patient who have opted to travel thousands of miles from home to have a cosmetic surgical procedure.  I usually require a copy of the operative note and charge for an office visit with the understanding that this is a service to another plastic surgeon and a patient who needs assistance.   I will not assume responsibility for a problem that I did not cause.  

Surgery overseas

+1

I have had to treat several patients with complications from procedures done outside of the US. The last one was from the Dominican Republic and had the exact same problem. It took 5 aspirations to clear it. I am not saying that this is the norm for surgery outside of the US but it is a risk when you travel for surgery. The expense of caring for a complication often outweighs the savings. Most ethical plastic surgeons want to help a patient in need but it will not be handled financially as we would with our own complications which most treat at no cost or very reduced cost

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after Tummy Tuck

+1

You would do best to contact a local plastic surgeon willing to help. You will need multiple aspirations, as most seromas take time to go away once they have formed.  The sooner you do this the better, as that seroma has probably been accumulating since drain removal. 

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Seroma

+1

Yes seromas can happen, even to us  in the US. You should call to local PS in your area and see if they are willing to help you.

We often do so.

Web reference: http://sacs-sa.com

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Seroma from TT...Need Help?

+1

You don't really say if you have tried to contact a local plastic surgeon or not. That should be your first approach. If no one will see you, try your primary physician who may be willing to drain this, but otherwise can refer you to an interventional radiologist who can either aspirate or place a drain. 

All the best.