Seroma After Breast Augmentation

I got Breast Augmentation 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks after when my stiches were removed, I had a lot of yellow (little bit of blood) liquid come out. Doctor said it was seroma fluid and put me on antibiotics and asked me to stop massaging.

A day or so after, I got nipple eczema which I have had for 10 years on and off. It must have flared up perhaps due to something that irritated it. Anyhow, the doctor told me to apply hydocortisone around the nipple but not on the incision. Advice?

Follow your plastic surgeon's instructions

+2

The seroma that drained through your incision will hopefully not recur and hopefully the antibiotics can prevent any infection. The nipple excema may be related but I agree with being careful to only apply the low strength hydrocortisone cream to the nipple area because it could potentially keep the incision from healing if it is placed there. There most important thing is that you follow your plastic surgeons instructions carefully and have frequent follow-up in these next few weeks.

Dr Edwards

Seroma following breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your question.  The main thing you need to be concerned about in the first few weeks following a breast augmentation is a post operative infection.  I would say that anybody with an open incision or an incision that has fluid coming out should be evaluated regularly by there surgeon until the problem has resolved.  You don't want to be cavalier with this and you likely need to stay on antibiotics until the problem abates.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after breast augmentation

+1

It sounds as if your surgeon has things under control and I would continue to folllow up with him/her as advised.

Follow up with your surgeon frequently

+1

You paid relatively little for the surgery. Hopefully you had the surgery at a properly equipped facility with a qualified surgeon. Now you really need your surgeon for post-operative care. Follow your surgeon's instructions carefully.

Best Regards and Good Luck!

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon