Seroma After Implant Deflated. Should I Get Them Replaced?

My implant deflated slowing and during that time Seroma developed. I thought my implant was moving. My surgeon is going to remove the implant in a week of the seroma does not cease. He wants to replace implants above the muscle in a few months after every is healed inside. My question is... should I even get them replaced. I am 53 years old, not marriage, not interested in dressing real sexy. This will be 3rd breast surgery in 12 years. Is there any more risks I should know about?

Risks associated with revision breast surgery

The decision of replacing the current implants is a cosmetic issue and entirely up to you. If you do not feel you need implants, then follow your instinct. There are always risks associated with any surgery but even more so with revision breast surgery. There is an increased risk of capsular contracture, visibility of implants due to thinning soft tissue, bleeding, and nipple skin necrosis, as well as others. I would recommend you discuss the risks with your plastic surgeon, then decide whether implants are for you. 

416 N. Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Implant removal

If you have the implants removed they do not have to be replaced, especially if you are leaning toward leaving them out.  I would remove the implants and not replace them immediately as  your surgeon has advised. they can always be reinserted later if you desire.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Seroma and defatlon

It is your choice to decide whether or not you want to have your implants removed.   It is a personal choice.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Seroma After Implant Deflates

Getting your implants replaced is your decision, but regardeless they need to be removed if one is deflated. The seroma worries me and if is doesn't go away, it probably needs to be cultured to make certain that you don't have a low grade infection.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

475 Biltmore Way
Coral Gables, FL 33134

Implant removal is straightforward

Removing deflated saline implants is a straightforward process that can be done in about 30 minutes under local anesthesia in your plastic surgeons office.  If you are ok with how you currently look without the extra volume that your implants added then I would recommend just having the old implants removed.  You can always choose to have new implants placed down the road if you change your mind.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

If you are comfortable with the look of the deflated breast, then you will be happy with the implants removed without replacement. As long as you have implants there is always a good chance that you will need further maintenance surgeries.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

10201 SE Main
Portland, OR 97216