What Should I Do for Pre-op Rhinoplasty Anxiety?

i am having a rhinoplasty in one week, and i was very excited..untill now. after reading some rhinoplasty horror stories, i've started to second guess my surgeon, and his ability to produce a successful result. i dont know whats wrong with me. why is this happening?

Trusting Your Rhinoplasty is the Best Cure for Pre-Op Anxiety and Nervousness

+3

Hi Vanity,

Your anxiety is very common for those living in Ohio, we don't see that out here in California....just kidding.  Trust is very important when subjecting yourself to any surgery.  It is normal to have some anxiety before rhinoplasty.  I tell my patients to transfer their nervousness and anxiety to me, as I have gone through this hundreds of times while for most patients it is their first time.  As the late comedian George Burns said to his bypass cardiothoracic surgeon minutes before his surgery when the surgeon said to him, "Mr. Burns, you don't look nervous at all this morning!", Mr. Burns replied, " You're the one who should be nervous."   He obviously TRUSTED his surgeon as you should as well. 

Good luck and be well.

Rhinoplasty anxiety

+2

It is normal to feel anxious before any surgery, especially one that will affect your appearance. I tell my patients that as long as I am not nervous, then they can rest assured I will do the best that I can for them! I see my patients again prior to surgery for more reasssurance if necessary. Watch my video!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety about upcoming rhinoplasty

+2

If you are having that much anxiety over the rhinoplasty surgery and your surgeon, it is probably best to hold off for now until you feel comfortable with both the procedure and your surgeon. If you decide to proceed with that, 1 mg of lorazepam can be given the night before surgery to relax your anxiety.

Anxiety before Rhinoplasty

+1

It is normal to have anxiety bfore any surgery, especially an elective cosmetic operation. Meet with your surgeon, review the operatve plan, clarify expectations,  look at pictures of results in patients with similar pre-op nasal problems, and share your concerns.

Pre-Operative Rhinoplasty Anxiety

+1

It's completely normal and expected to have a certain degree of anxiety or apprehension before any surgery, especially cosmetic surgery. A good treatment for this anxiety is education and to become more familiar with the preparation for surgery, day of surgery, and expected postop recovery. In addition, share any concerns you have with your rhinoplasty plastic surgeon. He/She may be able to also provide some medication, if necessary, to calm the nerves.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pre operative anxiety before rhinoplasty.

+1

Meet with your surgeon again before the surgery and go over your concerns and what exactly he is going to do. If you are sill unsure get a second opinion.

Pre-op rhinoplasty anxiety

+1

Call your surgeon to discuss this issue. I see this very frequently in my practice and I find a in detail visit prior to the operation alleviates this anxiety.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Managing Pre-Surgery Anxiety

+1

It is quite normal to have the jitters before surgery. Everybody has them. But it should not reach the point where you doubt your surgeon. If this is the case, you may wish to meet with him again before the operation and share your anxiety with him. No surgeon likes operating on a patient who doubts his/her abilities.