IPL After Blue Peel

I had 2 Obagi blue peels done, the last on 12/28/10. I didn't get the results I hoped for. I am trying to get rid of brown spots from sun damage or hyperpigmentation not sure which and acne scars. Do I need to wait to get the IPL done?

Melarase creams and Obagi Blue Peel

+1

I would defer to topical creams such as Melarase.  The IPL will work well after a few months of topical skin lightening creams. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

IPL After Blue Peel

+1

While you are able to have a series of ipl treatments at this time, you may not receive the results in treating the acne scars from ipl. Acne scars are best treated with laser resurfacing (such as erbium, profractional, Total FX, or CO2). Moreover, the sun damage or hyperpigmentation may be treated better with a combination of Tretinoin and hydroquinone products before attempting ipl.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Blue Peel and IPL

+1

Make sure that you are using the Obagi NuDerm product before your peels and in between your peels.  You will get the best results with your peel if you are using the product along with it.  If you have used the NuDerm with the Peel and still have not gotten the desired results, consider having IPL done.  IPL may help with Hyperpigmentation but not necessarily with the acne scars.  If you have used the Obagi product, done the peel and try IPL with no improvements, you may have reached your peak results.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

How to get Better Results after a Blue Peel

+1

Before considering laser treatments or additional peels, I recommend you consider aggressive topical therapy using a combination of Tretinoin cream and 4% hydroquinone cream. One of the most effective ways to reverse sunspots due to the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of these two prescription strength medications. Prescription strength 4% hydroquinone is better than any OTC product for lightening dark spots in the skin. These dark spots are typically due to chronic sun damage so daily use of sunscreens is essential in your treatment. Combining prescription-only tretinoin cream with hydroquinone will make it even more effective. I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Think Fraxel or Total FX

+1

The IPL can be done and will help redness much more than the TCA peels did, but the acne scars would do better with Fraxel or Total FX depending on the depth and severity.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

IPL after Blue Peel

+1

Enough time has passed for you to get a series of IPL treatments but you may still be disappointed with your results. IPL will do very little, if anything, to your acne scars.  For that you should consider some form of CO2 resurfacing (fractionated or traditional). If the brown pigment you are trying to get rid of is melasma it may prove resistant to IPL and hydroquinone (bleacher).

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon