Am I paying too much for a series of 46 Botox?

Series of 46 (Botox). That's what my receipt said. The total cast was $915.00. I've long suspected I was being ripped off (she will never give me an exact price prior to the procedure) and always ends with "I gave you a deal!" Please advise. I work too hard for my money :-(

Plastic Surgery prices including Botox

+3

For cosmetic procedures exact prices can and should be given. If a doctors refuses, go to a doctor that will give you an exact price.  Of course complications can occur, but a policy on this also should be issued.  Exact prices...not some mysterious deal is the standard of practice that is expected and should be given.   Good Luck.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

You are not buying a commodity, you are buying a service.

+2

Elllie 

The value of the service is ultimately up to you to decide if you are getting what you pay for.  Certainly there should be absolute transparency about how many units you are being treated with and which of the cosmetic botulinum toxin agents you are being treated with (Dysport or BOTOX).  There are three treatment trends that are quite misleading:  Advertising a small fee by area, but not defining what an area is.  In Los Angeles, there are offices that advertise $99 or $199 BOTOX by area but to do an actual standard forhead and brow treatment, this might represent 10 "areas".  You can do the math.  Another scam is sell BOTOX by the unit.  However, it is impossible for the consumer to know how many units are in fact in the syringe.  It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that saline is cheaper than BOTOX or Dysport.  A vial of BOTOX costs about $550 for 100 units.  So if you are being offered BOTOX for $6 per unit, there is a good chance that you are going to get less that a unit of BOTOX for your $6.  FInally many offices, glide over precisely how much medication by unit you are getting and instead price by "syringe."  Again it is impossible to know what is in that syringe.  

Look for honest offices.  They will tell you how much product you are getting.  Treatments will be every consistent in their effects from treatment to treatment for years.  However, expect pay more for experienced physician injectors.  Provided you like the service, generally the premium these injectors charge is worth it.  This is also about peace of mind.  If you don't agree, I am sure you can find a store front that provides a cheaper service.  Please do not stay with an office you are not happy with.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com/botox/

Botox Pricing

+1

Botox prices like other cosmetic surgery services vary widely across the country and even in the same city.  If you have a concern that you are not getting good value, consult with 2 other physicians prior to your next treatment.  Choose the current or one of the others that best meet your needs.

Per unit cost for Botox

+1
My fee is at the high end of Botox but the amount which I inject to produce the desired result is lower than average. I am judicious in use of the product and do not over inject. It is important to ascertain that your physician is not using gray market or imported Botox of questionable origin. We receive advertisements for off shore Botox almost daily and they go straight into the circular file. Also significant is whether your injector is a board certified plastic surgeon or a nurse. In my practice, patients pay for my expertise. Many local newspapers advertise for Botox by the area. I find this to be a come on. No two individuals require the same treatment and the ads do not clarify what is meant by an area. The key thing is to have confidence in your doctor's technique and in his integrity in disclosure and pricing. Ask about the price and number of units and, if a clear response isn't forthcoming, seek another opinion. Counterfeit product is definitely in circulation as some Floridians learned at great danger last year.

Cost of Botox

+1

Some doctors charge per zone but as many patients require different units injected into the same zone depending on their muscle mass, other doctors have charged per unit.  The patient cost of Botox varies considerably from State to State and City to City.  There are doctors that are more expert than others in injecting Botox. It is not a black and white science.  The physician must know the anatomy and also evaluate your unique anatomy to determine what are the correct insertion sites to inject and how many units of Botox to inject. Leaving you with less wrinkles but a natural appearance and with little risk of a asymmetric eyebrows or a drooping eyelid comes with experience and talent. If the receipt is indicating you had 46 units, then the fee is in line with the upper range of normal and you are not being ripped off.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

You need to be more in charge of your care

+1

Ellie, You need to be more in charge of your care and you need a doctor that will be you partner not your boss. I think that every patient should know what I charge per unit botox  and be able to tell me what they can and are willing to spend. I will then tell them if that might or might not be what I feel is going to give them the best result.  The patient can then discuss their wishes and will be prepared for what it will cost  Sometimes I do not know exactly how much of a product I will use until I start working with it but more often than not I can give a very close estimate or exact cost. I do not think that you should shop for price as there are a lot of poor performers out there trying to give you a bargain and you might just get what you pay for plus a lot of misery.  All that being said, I think that that price  was a bit high  for 46 units of botox.

Web reference: http://brookwooddermatology.com

Birmingham Dermatologist

Good price for Botox

+1

At 46 units of Botox, you got almost half a bottle (100 units).  I think it's a fair price.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Botox - Did I get Ripped Off?

+1

Hi Ellie.  It would help a bit if we knew which areas you had injected and certainly more so if we knew how many units.  If we make the assumption that you are paying $915 for 46 units (series of 46) of Botox, then you are probably paying too much.  

Where we are in Los Angeles, Botox can vary between about $8 per unit and $20 per unit.  The ones at the low side are most likely importing illegaly (which has it's own dangers and ethical challenges) and the ones at the high side are likely the most exclusive practices with hard to get appointments.

For the rest of us, we are somewhere in between and $10 - $15 per unti is a reasonable range for most practices.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/Celibreblog/post/2008/11/botox-prices.aspx

Botox costs

+1

Botox costs range anywhere from 9 dollars to 20 dollars a unit. While you may be paying on the higher side, it can depend upon your market and the skill of your physician. If you are happy with the results and they are lasting you a sufficient duration, then the higher costs are probably justified. Some areas like New York City and Beverly Hills, for example, may routinely get those higher costs per unit.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Botox

+1

Dear Ellie,  If indeed you received 46 units of Botox, and paid $915, you are paying $19.89 per unit, which is certainly on the high end of the spectrum.  As was mentioned, there are practices that charge over $20-25 per unit, but not many.  The bottom line is: Are you happy with the results, and are you happy with the treatment you receive by the staff and the physician?  If so, then perhaps paying this premium is worth it.  Otherwise, I am sure you can find very experienced physicians in your area to treat you for less than $19.89 per unit.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Web reference: http://www.doctorenzer.com

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.