Should I Have Revision Septoplasty to Remove Cartilage? Is This The Best Option?

After my first septoplasty the left bottom of my septum is out of its articulation with the bone and when I push from that side it flaps to the right, on the right side it is articulated and doesnt flap.I had another septoplasty and that same problem was not corrected and left my septum weaker.My surgeon says that he can correct that by removing cartilage from the right side so that the left side can articulate again.Does this make sense?Is there a way to fix this without making my nose weaker?

Septoplasty

+2

Yes, this can be corrected without making your nose weaker.  Based on what you are saying, it sounds like the septal cartilage has been disconnected from the underlying anatomical structures.  If that is the case, no additional cartilage should be removed to correct it.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/

Mobile nasal septum after septoplasty

+2

The septum usually sits in a groove called the maxillary crest which is in the mid-line behind the columella (center post of the nose). Sometimes the septum has to be moved or partially resected because the lower end, which you can see on base view, is crooked. It usually becomes stable after surgery, but if it is not, it can be made more stable with a suture placed from the end of the septum going into the covering of the bone below. Sometimes a tongue-in-groove maneuver is necessary to solidify it between the medial crura, the cartilages in the columella. 

Web reference: http://www.todaysface.com

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty

+2

You need to see another surgeon for a second consult. and opinion. The septum sounds to have been diarticulated from the maxillary spine. It can be corrected.