Is It Ok to Get a Septum Piercing then Get A Rhinoplasty Later on in Life? (photo)

Is It Ok to Get a Septum Piercing then Get A Rhinoplasty later on in life?Or will that interfere with the surgery?I really want a septum piercing and afterwards, a couple of years or so later get a rhinoplasty.

Septum piercing and rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to have septum piercing then undergo rhinoplasty later in life.  Any preexisting hole from the septal piercing will need to be closed prior to undergoing elective cosmetic nasal surgery.  The septum piercing will need to be removed and left out for 6 months after the rhinoplasty to prevent infection.

Septal Piercing Followd by Rhinoplasty

+1

Septal piercing will not interfere with later having a rhinoplasty as long as there is no problems following placement of the jewelry such as infection or tissue loss secondary to vascular compromise. Fortunately, such complications are very unlikely.

Rhinoplasty after septal piercing

+1

the piercing is likely located in the membranous septum.  It should not prevent you from getting the rhinoplasty.  However it may require a slight technique modification.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Piercing and Rhinoplasty

+1
I operate on multitudes of rhinoplasty patients who have piercing or want piercing and this is not a problem. If you have a piercing then we take it out during the surgical procedure. It may or may not close up depends on the healing process, length of piercing in etc. If you want to have your nose pierced after surgery then your surgeon will okay the proper time to do so during the recovery phase.

Michael Elam, MD

I would advise against having your nasal septum pierced.

+1

Nasal septal piercings are relatively uncommon. This procedure may result in infection or possibly a septal perforation, which is a permanent hole in your septum. If this occurs, you may have whistling from your nose when your breathe from your nose.

Hope this helps.

Dr, Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon