My Septum Feels Crooked and is Really Uncomfortable. Is It Deviated?

About five years ago, my nose started to feel 'crooked.' It doesn't really look crooked- this isn't a cosmetic question. Over time, it's gotten work. It's (I think) the septum- what is in between the two nostrils at the bottom of the nose. It veers over to the left and I constantly feel as if it needs to be pushed to the right. It's not painful but I can feel it- it feels like it's pushing leftward on something it shouldn't be. It's really frustrating me and I'm constantly 'twitching' my nose.

Deviated septum

It would be difficult to provide you with advice regarding your septum without performing an examination. If you are having trouble breathing, it is possible you may be experiencing a deviated septum. Please feel free to schedule a consultation with my office, and I would be happy to look at your septum for you. My contact information is listed in my profile. Thank you, and good luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Deviated septum and deviated nose

Well it does sound like you need an examination at the very least.  A septum that feels crooked I am sure must have some issues of deviation.  There are many other factors, though, that need to be addressed with regard to your airway and nose.  My suggestion is head to a solid ENT doctor who can do a good examination and see if there is anything to be done.  

Jay Calvert, MD

465 N. Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Confirming diagnosis of septal deviation

The front part of the septum, known as the caudal septum, is what you are feeling right between your nostrils. If it looks and feels the way you say, then it is in fact deviated. Whether that deviation continues further into the back parts of the nose requires assessment by a nose specialist. Different parts of the septum can be deviated. The front part of the septum is the most easy to tell if it is deviated because you can look at the position of the columella and the entrance to the nostrils directly.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032