Can a Septum Deviation Correct Itself Overtime?

I'm a 16 year old male with a crooked nose. Recently i visited a doctor regarding my crooked nose. The doctor told me that i have a septum deviation and that i don't require any unneccesary surgery about it as it will correct itself as i grow up due to my young age. So is it true what the doctor said, that my crooked nose will correct itself?

Deviated Septum in 16 Year Old Male

+2

It is very unlikely that your deviated septum will change with time. We advise young patients to wait until they are physically mature before having this type of surgery; for males this is age 16-18.

Deviated septum

+2

Deviated septum and crocked nose will not staighten with time. You nose is fully developed by age 16.

Do deviatied septums self-correct with time?

+1

Once you have a deviated septum, without surgery or a lucky blow to the nose, it will not get better. In fact the 2 options are either remain the same or continue to twist and get slowly worse. Just becausae you have a deviation doesn't mean you need surgery. In fact doctors don't even suggest surgery to prevent worsening. If it becomes symptomatic, then is the time to repair it.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

A crooked nasal septum or crooked nose will NOT correct itself over time

+1

A crooked nasal septum or crooked nose will NOT correct itself over time. Unfortunately, surgery is required to straighten the septum or the nose itself as these issues don't correct themselves over time. I would recommend seeking a second opinion from a qualified nasal surgeon if these issues concern you. I hope this is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon