Septorhinoplasty Looking Worse After 3 Weeks?

I had a Septrorhinoplasty done on November 8th. I know about how it can take a year for the swelling to go down, but I'm wondering if it's normal that my nose looked better (ONLY from the profile) in the first 1-2 weeks? The front looked horrible. But it's starting to look a tiny bit better. But the profile seems to be getting worse.. more droopy. Maybe even a tiny bump. I'm much happier with my nose overall, but I really hope the profile goes back to what it was in the first couple of weeks.

+1

In general, swelling may be more obvious from a frontal view. In regard to the droopy appearance, the tip will be turned up during the first 1-2 weeks following surgery and will gradually return to a normal position.  The upturn can be due to the surgeon "releasing" soft tissues, and gravity will pull the tip back down in the weeks following your procedure. The degree to which your nasal tip is lifted can be due to the following things:

1) Technique used by your surgeon
2) Method used to raise the nasal tip (cartilage or sutures)
3) The way you heal

It can take up to a year before you see the final result of surgery. I would give it a little time and see how you heal. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changes in nose in weeks following rhinoplasty

+1

As the tissues normalize following surgery, you may see many subtle changes in the appearance of your nose. This is because, as you said, full healing can take a year. It is too early to examine your nose with a microscope. Have patience and give it time.

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Early changes following a rhinoplasty

+1

Early changes are very common following any surgery.   After only 3 weeks you can expect that most changes are temporary.  Your surgeon is in the best possible position to know if the changes you are seeing are of any concern.  

+1

It sounds like the swelling is subsiding, and you are starting to see more definition of the underlying structures- the cartilage & bones.  As the swelling goes down, the the tips often appears lower because the swelling causes to tip to rotate upward.  It is unlikely that the profile will go back to what it looked like shortly after surgery.  Allow more time for healing, you will have a better idea about your results after 6-8 weeks.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon