Septorhinoplasty: Tape Too Tight-sores and Redness? (photo)

I had my septorhinoplasty 12 days ago. I was taped 5 days ago. Two days ago the tape was coming off due to the oils of my nose. I made a very stupid decision and decided to retape it myself. I had an appt today with my surgeon. When he removed the tape my nose was all red with open sores and leaking some liquid. He seemed very upset. I was given some antibiotics and told to wash my nose gently with soap and apply some aquaphor when I got home. I am very scared. Permanent damage to nose?

Taping of the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

Most likely you have not created any long term or permanent damage to your nose from taping too tightly.  Maintain follow up with your plastic surgeon and follow his post operative care instructions.  

What Type of Treatments or Procedures Can Be Done to Diminish the Appearance of a Scar Caused by a Car Accident? (photo)

+1

Most likely non issue. But NEVER self treat! Your surgeon was only a phone call away to help you through this post operative phase! 

Tape irritation on nose after rhinoplasty

+1

The tape you used may have irritated the skin and likley did not cause long term problems. Best to follow your doctor's instructions.

Septorhinoplasty: Tape Too Tight-sores and Redness?

+1

Dear Nosegirl,

Thank you for your question and photos.  Looks like you caused some skin irritation with the taping, but probably no permanent damage.  Be very gentle with your nose as the skin needs to heal. 

Best Wishes,

PAblo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

That should not be a permanent injury

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I have had a few patients do this as well.  Its an understandable mistake but it should not have any permanent effects.  Definitely keep it protected and out of the sun.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD