Septorhinoplasty Swelling - Better, Now Worse?

Hi, I am just enquiring regarding my septorhinoplasty procedure I had 5 weeks ago. the swelling seemed to go down quite well up until last week but now it seems to have gotten worse. Is it normal for this to occur? the tip of my nose doesnt seem to be as straight as well which had me concerned. Can me blowing my nose have caused this? I started to blow my nose after 10 days as my Doctor recommended.

Rhinoplasty and Swelling

+3

Swelling after rhinoplasty is quirky and resolves over time.  One side of the nose may resolve quicker, swelling can increase especially if the nose has been irritated or after vigorous activity.  The nasal tip retains swelling longer than any other part of the nose.  Give it time, 5 weeks is very early in journey to recovery.

Dr. ES

Cycles of swelling is common after rhinoplasty

+2

In my experience, it is very common for patients to have cycles of swelling, followed by improvement, during the first three months after rhinoplasty.

If you do not see a constant improvement after the first three months, discuss the matter with your surgeon.

In general, however, it takes 6-12 months for the nose to "settle down".

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+2

Your tip may not appear straight 5 weeks after rhinoplasty because swelling does not resolve symmetrically. Blowing your nose did not cause any problems; follow your surgeon's instructions. It is not normal for swelling to increase this long after surgery - contact your surgeon. Swelling may not have increased in one part of your nose, but appears so because swelling in the surrounding area may have decreased. I don't want to be trite, but it's all relative.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling in the nose following rhinoplasty can take significant time to resolve. There are a number of factors that can affect how long the nose remains swollen. Although your surgery was five weeks ago, I would guess that your nose will continue to refine over the next few months. Swelling may also fluctuate at times, depending on how active the patient is. Without seeing you, it is hard to tell if there is truly a structural asymmetry, or if there is asymmetric swelling. I would advise you to give it some time before re-evaluating.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sudden Nose swelling 5 weeks after Surgery

+1

You are right to be concerned. Swelling should go down with time, not get better and then get much worse. You need to be seen by your surgeon to make sure you do not have blood in your septum (septal hematoma) or an infection. It is better to err on the side of caution.

Dr. Peter Aldea