Okay to Have Third Surgery After Septorhinoplasty and Rhinoplasty?

I had a Septorhinoplasty to correct a broken nose. The surgeon should have made my nose thinner, but I think it looks the same and it's been over a year. I had a Rhinoplasty after a year following that to remove the hump and refine the tip. It's been nearly 12 weeks. Now, my columella is droopy, the tip is drooping down (making it look long), the nose looks wider, and the tip looks huge. And he's left me with a scar that is very, very visible. Is it ok to want to have a third operation?

Third nasal surgery okay, but see a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

It is acceptable to have a third operation on your nose to address all of the complications you are currently having. However, it is important to wait at least a year before embarking on another revision rhinoplasty surgery. At this point, search for a surgeon who is well versed in performing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty surgeries.

See a revision rhinoplasty specialist.

+1

You will have to wait 6-12 months before having a revision. It is too early to make any judgement about your nose because of the swelling. 

Tertiary Rhinoplasty

+1

If you start seeing your tip droop and the columella hang, chances are that these issues will not resolve with time. Rather, it may even get a little worse.

But further revision surgery should be delayed for a minimum of 10 to 12 month after the last nose procedure. You may start discussing the possibility but most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons will advise you to patience.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

RevisionRhinoplasty

+1

It is OK to want and to have a third procedure but be sure that you thoroughly discuss with your surgeon the things that you are unhappy with, your goals and expectations and ask him/her if these are attainable. Be sure that your surgeon is experienced (either a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon) and is comfortable with revision rhinoplasties. Also, do not rush into this. Allow further scar maturation to occur. Patience is important because you want the best results possible and hopefully without another procedure. It can take 6 months or more for full maturation to occur and your surgeon will let you know what the best timing is. Do not be afraid to get a second opinion for such complex cases.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Perhaps

+1

Hi,

I have seen patients who have had 5, 6 or even 7 previous inadequate or over aggressive Rhinoplasties. Wanting a revision in such cases is reasonable to fix the problems. I have also seen patients who have had 5-7 previous surgeries with very nice results but continue to seek the holy grail of "perfection" and that is a dangerous road to travel!

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon