Do I Need More of a Change? (photo)

I need my nose straightened, remove my bump & possibly fix the concave nostril with a graft. I saw a surgeon & he thought my nose would still be too long. I've attached a photo of what I'd like, I personally don't mind the projection so was his suggestion based on what the average person would want? I just want an improvement of my own nose, can I not just do these subtle changes with a nice result? Will putting a graft push out the skin that has dented in? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rhinoplasty for projecting nose

+1

The photographs show a  projecting nose with a large hump and a wide tip. The photo imaging that  has been performed only  show  hump removal without balancing the tip  and projection in the remainder of the nose.  It is very important  in the rhinoplasty procedure to make sure the entire  nasal components balance with each other and the entire nose  balances with the  your facial features. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on our website for you to give a better idea of what  you may look like. It's also a good idea to get an a few consultations  from very experience rhinoplasty surgeons. Please see the  link below for our results of patients similar to your own

Do I Need More of a Change?

+1

Many thanks for the question. Yes you are a great candidate for a good job on your nose. You can get what all you want if you can manage to reach the right surgeon .Wish you all the best.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is the patient's choice and should not be the surgeon's.

+1

Rhinoplasty is the patient's choice and should not be the surgeon's. I do many noses with very subtle changes because that is what the patient is comfortable with and since she will be looking at it every day and not me that is the most important consideration. Look at the surgeon's results and not computer imaging!

Do I need more change?

+1

I love computer imaging but sometimes it can fool you as well. When you lower the hump you have you are going to have an open roof that requires an osteotomy to narrow the bridge so you don't look wide and flat. If you don't refine your lower nose to balance this it's going to exaggerate  it's size more and be very out of proportion. It won't look like what you have imaged from the side on front or oblique views. You certainly can keep your length and maintain a "strong" nose if you like. You need to work with your surgeon more on this or get additional consultations.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Hump reduction, Projection

+1

Breanne: One of the ways to accomplishing a complementary rhinoplasty, one that enhances the overall appearance, is to have a nasal contour that is natural and in harmony with the face and with the adjacent structures of the nose.  From reviewing the photographs you have provided it is my opinion that if you reduce the hump without reducing the projection the projection will become a distraction.  This would occur, especially if you reduce the hump to match the height of the root of the nose between the eyes.  This area is a little low and if the bump is reduced to match this area then the dorsal will also be too low.  The best way to achieve a cosmetically desirable profile would be to slightly raise the radix, slightly reduce the hump and the projection.  It is generally ill advised to piecemeal a rhinoplasty.  If this approach was taken the final outcome is frequently disappointing.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Hump Reduction Alone

+1

I think the dorsal hump reduction alone is Ok to consider.  Cartilage graft palpabiilty and visability is always a risk.  I cannot evaluate the need for a graft based upon the pictures and your description.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Excellent Candidate for Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Dear Breanne, During consultation I typically use a digital imaging computer to show the patient their proposed surgical result. I am not sure during your consultation if the consulting surgeon did this and you still wanted your nose longer and did not like the imaging or if the above photographs are pictures that you morphed? Sometimes a patient may discuss during consultation just removing a hump not realizing that other aspects of surgery must be performed to make the nose look like you just removed the hump and allowing a natural looking result. I believe your expectations are very attainable allowing you a natural looking nose that fits your facial features and looks similar to your nose now but more refined. An examination and consultation would tell me more however I do not think one should be talking grafts during a primary rhinoplasty with simple modifications. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD