Septorhinoplasty. I have a hump on my bridge 13 days post op. Could it be swelling? (Photo)

I had Septorhinoplasty and turbinate reduction last Tuesday 13th (13 days ago) to both fix my breathing issues and to straighten the bridge of my nose and take a bit of the tip off. I'm happy with one side however I'm not happy with my left side as I can see a hump on the bridge. This is not what I wanted and looks no different to my previous nose. I've heard it could be swelling but it feels like hard bone so it's got me very worried. (Attached picture)

Swelling after rhinoplsaty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

If results are not satisfactory after the dust settles, then considering a revision rhinoplasty can be easily explored and executed with the right surgeon.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Septorhinoplasty. I have a hump on my bridge 13 days post op. Could it be swelling?

Still very early in the post op stage. But after 3 months if hump still present than not healing/swelling issue... 

Yes, this can be swelling. One of the reasons rhinoplasty is so difficult is that after surgery, the nose goes through a lot of changes. You will need to be patient for your end results, which you won't see for at least 6 months. I tell my patients to wait a year for their final result. Tell and show your surgeon your concerns. Massage, steri-strips, or steroid injections may be recommended. Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

It is normal to have swelling after Rhinoplasty. This can make it appear that you still have a "bump" on your nose.  Some people swell more then others and this can depend on how large of a bump you had before.  Show your surgeon the area you are concerned about.   Occasionally taping the nose or massage of the area can help it resolve faster. Some surgeons will inject some steroid in that area as well to help the swelling go away faster. Every situation is different.  This will depend on what was done during surgery and what your nose is doing now.  

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon