Septorhinoplasty Hardness and Discomfort After 7 Weeks?

I'm a 21 year old male that underwent Septorhinoplasty with turbinate reduction 7 weeks ago. I'm currently suffering from lots of discomfort, hardness especially the tip area and having difficulty doing facial expressions due to the hardness and stiff sensation. The way I see things is somehow affected as well. Not sure if it's nerve damage or anything? Just don't feel myself at all. Any advice?

+1

Hardness and swelling following rhinoplasty can persist for up to 1 year or longer.  In the first few weeks, the swelling and hardness is near maximal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Thanks for the question about recovery after rhinoplasty.

Firstly I would always recommend contacting your surgeon if you have any concerns, but I can offer you a few things that may help.

7 weeks is still early days after rhinoplasty and septoplasty, and while things look relatively normal at this stage, the nose still often feels different.  The nose continues to improve for many months after rhinoplasty, and this improvement corresponds to the nose starting to feel more normal.  Firstly the tip of the nose is often quite numb after surgery, and this can take many months to return.  The nerves are not functioning normally at this stage, and it happens in nearly every rhinoplasty.  It also makes the nose "feel" big, but it's not.  It does get better.  Secondly the fluid and healing within the nose is firmer than normal tissue, and so the tip and its surrounds can feel firmer than you would expect.  Thirdly some of the manipulation and rearrangement of structures within the nose which give it the final shape will always leave the nose feeling slightly firmer, even after everything settles.

So after a rhinoplasty and septoplasty you would expect a period of recovery which in your case sounds perfectly reasonable, but please contact your surgeon for reassurance.

Best wishes

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon