Asymmetrical Nostrils After Septorhinoplasty?

I had a septorhinoplasty 5 months ago, I feel more conscious about my new nose than my old one it looks completely different on each side and i hate the view from the front as my right nostril is noticeably larger then the left.

I also feel that my nose is not small enough, I cant afford to have another surgery. What are my rights on having corrective surgery and can my nostrils be made the same size??

Rhinoplasty results need time

+2

It usually takes at least an entire year for all of the swelling to subside. 5 months is not enough time to allow for tissue recovery. In fact, some revision rhinoplasty cases require much more than a year to achieve the final settling and definition.

Regarding the nostril asymmetry; please post a close up full frontal face view, a close up base view and a side view. Subtle asymmetry may be normal and it is hard to evaluate your concerns without photos.

Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

+2

The problems you mentioned sound like they can be improved. It is best to ask your surgeon about his policy about revisions. Each doctor is different. If you are not confident in his ability, seek another experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Post op rhinoplasty

+2

Certain parts of your question cannot be answered such as your rights or the difficulty you are having with self-consciousness. Most of the time your surgeon will be willing to perform a revision surgery if improvement can be made for the facility and anesthesia charges or perhaps even less. It is usually possible to make the nostrils symmetric although not always. That also applies to the size of the nose. Sometimes it can only be made so small and after that you risk affecting function. I would plan to have an open discussion with your surgeon to answer your questions and determine if a revision surgery is appropriate.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostrils can be corrected

+1

Corrective surgery should be employed by the original physician. There is no set rights on having corrective surgery as each individual office has different policies on this. Please ask your original surgeon about his revisional fees. Nostrils can be made the same size through an alarplasty.

Unfortunately, it's too early to tell septorhinoplasty results

+1

At five month post surgery your nose is still probably quite swollen, especially at the nostril region. Imbalances in the amount of swelling from left vs. right can also exist. I would recommend massage and taping, but it is best to go speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

After one year, adjustments can be made if necessary but this is not easy to do. That is why waiting is often your only option. If you post well-taken photos of your nose it would be easier to make better suggestions, but for now just relax and defocus from your nose.

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon